Tina

How do you pay the bills?

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Tina Li

Tina

Post by Tina Li »

After finishing a residency in ophthalmology, I came out to LA for training in oculoplastic surgery at the Jules Stein Eye Institute and in Beverly Hills. I saw a lot of cosmetic facial surgeries and had to deal with a lot of psychopathology and ladies of leisure addicted to surgery. Lots of things blew my mind: 80 year-old women in halter tops and sexy sandals with faces so plastic you couldn't tell how old they were until you looked at their necks and hands; an 18 year-old who had liposuction of her cheeks because she didn't like her baby fat; a man who wanted his Adam's apple shaved off so he could look more like a woman; Asians who want western eyes; Westerners who want Asian eyes, etc. etc.

After fellowship, I had enough of the cosmetic world, so I took a job with Kaiser, where I do "medically necessary" surgery. I do a lot of eyelid lifts, eyebrow lifts, tear drainage surgery, reconstructive surgery after skin cancer removal around the eyes, and taking out blind eyes. I like the variety of surgeries and the fact that they are relatively bloodless. Also, I like interacting with people of all walks of life, from newborns to 90 year-olds. Seeing people with problems every day makes me thankful that I am healthy and intact, at least for now.

Julie Mathies

Hi TINA!!!!

Post by Julie Mathies »

Glad to see your post......

Can you believe we go all the way back to Mrs. Jenkins Preschool....I still have our group photo from Kindergarten graduation. If I can make my way to a scanner, I'll post.

Take Care!!

teri

Hello, Tina!

Post by teri »

I remember visiting Mark and your sister-in-law (Dave and I were trying to recall names) in Boston many years ago. We had a GREAT time! I think that was before they were married, and we lost touch somewhere along the years. Would love to re-connect.

How wonderful that you are in such a career that lends itself to helping people, as you do!

jnichel
Site Admin

Post by jnichel »

I caught the news the other day when I was getting ready for work (my wife usually has CNN on), and they were doing a piece about the Kaiser group. IIRC, they had just done something like 80 surgeries, all for free, for people who didn't have insurance or the insurance wasn't going to cover the operation. Seems like a great organization.
"This Basil. This Basil's wife. This smack on head."
-- Basil Fawlty