Shane H

How do you pay the bills?

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

shane

Shane H

Post by shane »

Like Connie, I used to be a librarian as well, at the Tulane University Health Sciences Center. Back in early August, my beautiful, talented, wonderful wife, Melissa, offered me the opportunity to leave the rat-race and become a full-time parent and husband. I'd decided to take her up on it and had begun discussions with my boss about it. Then, the "Russian whore" visited us at the end of August and my timetable got moved up a bit.

I've stayed on with the library, trying to help them get back on their feet again. We just got back into our building downtown a couple of weeks ago (we've been operating out of a temporary office in another building since late December), but half the library is a construction hazard and closed. All our collections came out fine.

Meanwhile, I just found out yesterday that I've been laid-off. I knew it was coming (I'd discussed it with the library director), but my understanding of how this was going to work was... incomplete, you might say. I'm trying to straighten out the details.

Plus, doesn't matter if you know it's coming or not, it never feels good to get laid-off. Just doesn't. For the first time since I was 13, I have no job and I'm redefining myself within my family, my circle of friends and society.

We'll all have some tales to tell come October.

Shane

Connie

Join Us

Post by Connie »

Shane,
Sorry about your job. That stinks! I know you have lived your entire life in LA but have you ever considered moving 6 hours east? Several of us are already here! You'd be a great teacher/coach(?) and you can get a teaching cert in a year with any kind of degree. Come to the dark side! :twisted:
Connie (Doolin) Castillo