Jon Barton

How do you pay the bills?

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

JonBarton

Jon Barton

Post by JonBarton »

When I graduated from LSU, in Spring of 1990, I looked for work in Baton Rouge for 6 Weeks and got 2 (lame) interviews. I went to Atlanta and found 6 interviews in one week, so I moved. I worked with IBM for a few months as a temp, then I took a help desk job at NYNEX Business Centers>Computerland>Vanstar. I worked the Noon-9pm shift which was great because after 6 the phones didn't ring much and I could study/play with Computers! and get paid for it!

I taught myself networking, Novell and TCP/IP. In 1990 I sent my first Internet Message from a Mac using MacTCP and Telenet to a Sun box, and have loved it ever since. In 1994 I worked for a company that eventually became Xerox Global Services. I designed built and ran some large scale Email systems for Companies like TBS (CNN), Intercontinental Hotels, Some banks, AFC enterprises (Popeyes and Churches Chicken)...

In 2000, I got a letter from the president of the company thanking me for contributing $35K a month in revenue as a consultant, and in 2001, I got laid off, with 4 weeks severance to show for 8 years of being a top performer. This was a blessing.

I started my own company and have been an independent consultant/System Engineer for the past 4.5 years. This have given me much more flexibility to spend time with my family, and work when I want to and pursue the kind of work I really enjoy. Right now my thing is Network Security. I have a few loyal customers and and always looking for the next gig. The trick is to keep some real deep expertise in a few things, broad general IT skills, and to allways make the person that hired you look good for doing so. I truly attribute my relative success to the love and guidance of my family and freinds, the Hand of Providence, a decent education in Covington, and a positive attitude.

I think it is great/interesting to see several others doing the same type of stuff...Mark Leach, Phil Dyer, John Nichel, etc. I also really admire those of you who have served in the Military or as a military Wife (Angie E.F) I was a Navy brat, but Never served. You have my respect and gratitude.

Angie

Post by Angie »

Thanks, Jon....so good to "see" you.....your boys are mini Jons! They look like they like each other alot.
Angela Eddy Feemster