Angie - More Pics

Our spouses. Our kids.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Angie

Post by Angie »

I love to share...but, I get hungry when I can't eat because I am too busy slapping your hands away from my plate. You know I am kidding....I will share all sorts of my food with you in Germany....I have a feeling I will be too sore from skiing to eat anyway....my reflexes will be much slower....
Angela Eddy Feemster

Greg Ward

Post by Greg Ward »

JerryFish wrote:You shouldn't be afraid, there is nothing like a good bit of Spotted Dick after a nice English roast dinner! In fact I think we will have to make one when you come to visit next month. :lol:

It is a suet cake full of raisins and steamed a bit like a very light Christmas pudding.
This thread really takes the cake! I nearly fell out of my booth at PJ's. (kind of embarrassing laughing this hard in public)

Ok, so the real question is why do they call it "Spotted Dick"? There is a reference to "rasin cakes" in the Bible, Song of Solomon 2:5 to be exact. These cakes were used as aphrodisiacs and they were usually shaped like, ahem, . . . well since this is supposed to be a family thread (yeah right) . . . let's just call them phalus. :lol: Now, I'm not aware of them ever being described or referred to as "spotted", but it leads one to wonder?

Perhaps somebody will be getting lucky in a month? Can you shed any light on all this random specualtion, Sarah? What shape do you make your cakes in?

Angie

Post by Angie »

I agree, Greg...what happened to my thread "Angie's Family"??? I think it all started when Robin said that the tall boy in my son's soccer pic must eat his haggis....it all went downhill from there.....I am sure Spotted Dick has a lovely history....Sarah?
Angela Eddy Feemster

Robin

Post by Robin »

WHY do I get blamed for everything?!! :shock:

Greg Ward

Post by Greg Ward »

Robin wrote: I'm still sorry about spilling your red wine, and still wondering why the hell anybody (including Greg) would drink a house red wine at a crowded party. :shock: Surely you know the party benefits of G&Ts?
While we're blaming you . . . Angie blames you for my shirt. Says she was an unwitting acomplice. (However I'm skeptical, as I think it was a tag team job) My shirt is clean for the record, but I'm not sure who to hold responsible here. :wink:

Robin

Post by Robin »

You said it yourself - shirt's clean. No further discussion necessary. 8)

JerryFish

Post by JerryFish »

Greg this is the best way to answer your question...

It's a steamed suet pudding containing dried fruit, usually currants. The dessert is especially popular here in the United Kingdom, usually served with custard. Spotted refers to the currants (which resemble spots), and Dick may be a corruption of the word dough. It is also known as Spotted Dog, Plum Bolster, and Spotted Richard. I don't think it has Biblical Reference.

Sarah

P.S. I take it Robin spilt wine on your shirt, too. I'm starting to see a pattern....
Jerry Cottrell

You can't legislate intelligence and common sense into people.

Will Rogers

Greg Ward

Post by Greg Ward »

JerryFish wrote:It's a steamed suet pudding containing dried fruit, usually currants. The dessert is especially popular here in the United Kingdom, usually served with custard. Spotted refers to the currants (which resemble spots), and Dick may be a corruption of the word dough. It is also known as Spotted Dog, Plum Bolster, and Spotted Richard. I don't think it has Biblical Reference.

Sarah

P.S. I take it Robin spilt wine on your shirt, too. I'm starting to see a pattern....
Oh, yeah, there's definitely a pattern! Pathological if you ask me.

I'm sure your eplanation is historically accurate, but never the less, I had fun inventing my Biblical allusion! When possible, I try not to let reality ruin my entertainment too much. :)

JerryFish

Post by JerryFish »

Greg Ward wrote: When possible, I try not to let reality ruin my entertainment too much. :)
Sounds like a good plan.......
Jerry Cottrell

Will Rogers

Angie

Post by Angie »

OK...back to Spotted Dick finally. I am sure you have all been patiently waiting for the outcome. Anyone without a clue as to what I am talking about please read page 4 & 5 above.

My family finally took that beautiful drive to Dorset, passed Stonehenge on the way and arrived at Jerry, Sarah and Colin's 300 yr old cottage along an idyllic stream and greeted on their road by a man in a kilt (we swear Jerry paid the chap to do that, but apparently, he is for REAL).....the kids played, the adults chatted and drank wine. Jerry and Sarah fed us a fantastic meal, which ended with Sarah's Spotted Dick dessert. It is a common English dessert (or "pudding" they say here), but we have avoided it at every restaurant because it just did not sound good. There was no avoiding it this time! Sarah, you did well! Here are pics of the Dick going into the oven at 630, cooking on their stone-aged Aga stove (don't even ask! They had to fire it up a month before we arrived so they could cook on it!) and yet more pics of the Dick getting covered in cream. Finally, a pic of Jerry and I feeding each other the Dick. It was all good fun! Sarah and Jerry plan to come see us in January. Jolly good, ya'll!
Attachments
SpottedDick9_resize.JPG
SpottedDick7_resize.JPG
SpottedDick5_resize.JPG
SpottedDick4_resize.JPG
SpottedDick3_resize.JPG
SpottedDick1_resize.JPG
Angela Eddy Feemster

phil

Post by phil »

Why is everything in England crooked? :)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez!

phil

Angie

Post by Angie »

phil wrote:Why is everything in England crooked? :)
G&Ts, wine, whiskey....
Angela Eddy Feemster

JerryFish

Post by JerryFish »

Let's not forget Miller Lite :D :D Thanks Dan!
Jerry Cottrell

Will Rogers

madonnatoneygiacona

Post by madonnatoneygiacona »

Congrats to Angie!!!! (SPOTTED DICK) lol

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!

Madonna T Giacona

Julie Mathies

Post by Julie Mathies »

Awesome ending to a very hilarious story!! Thanks Angie for sharing!!