25-Year Reunion Planning is Underway

When, Where & What

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

shane

25-Year Reunion Planning is Underway

Post by shane »

Wow. Twenty. Five. Years.

Let that sink in for a minute.

Reunion planning committee met for the first time June 22 at the Barley Oak in Mandeville. Lots of initial ideas were thrown out, few decisions were made, beside the fact that an open bar is of primary importance for this group.

Venues: suggestions included: Fleur de Lis in Mandeville (where the Mandeville movie theater used to be is now a very nice venue; Holiday Inn or another hotel in Covington; Fontainebleau state park; hotel in downtown New Orleans; a retreat center in the area; Tchefuncta Country Club

Time of the year: in conjunction with the all-class reunion in early November; summer for cheaper accommodations and vacations; with a holiday (Thanksgiving is a 4-day weekend, for example), along with Homecoming again, around Halloween (with a masked ball theme in mind)

Rather than hiring a DJ, put together our own playlist and potentially use the sound system at a venue (or but together our own ) for music, announcements.

Include the slide show again (like at the 20-year), but include photos from everyone illustrating what they've been up to since high school (college, kids, work, travel, etc)

Make the directory PDF only, rather than incur the printing costs

The floor is open for input on these ideas, and throw out your own as well. We'll be meeting again July 15 at the Barley Oak; if you're in the area, please join us!
Shane
--
I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.
- Noel Coward

bazers

Post by bazers »

How about two different pay structures for the reunion?

One for those who want an open bar (and willing to pay for it) and another for those who will not be drinking large quantities (or at all)?

I have a feeling that affordability does play in some people's ability/desire to attend the reunion.

Just a thought.

- Shane

phil

Re: 25-Year Reunion Planning is Underway

Post by phil »

shane wrote:Wow. Twenty. Five. Years.

Let that sink in for a minute.
Yeah, 25 years. That's just amazing.

I'm up for anything, and will help in anyway I can. I loved the Tchefuncta Club last time. Whereever it is, I'll be there. And this time, Nichel better be there too. :evil:
Last edited by phil on Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez!

phil

phil

Post by phil »

bazers wrote:How about two different pay structures for the reunion?

One for those who want an open bar (and willing to pay for it) and another for those who will not be drinking large quantities (or at all)?

- Shane
I totally agree with that. I think the cost would be minimal, I'm thinking those tape-on wristbands for drinkers or something...

phil

Dan

Post by Dan »

Thanks for taking the lead on this Shane...

Rock On! Dan

jnichel
Site Admin

Re: 25-Year Reunion Planning is Underway

Post by jnichel »

phil wrote:And this time, Nichel better be there too. :evil:
That dude is a jerk.
"This Basil. This Basil's wife. This smack on head."
-- Basil Fawlty

Angie

Post by Angie »

I agree about the 2 level pricing for drinkers and non-drinkers. I like the idea of going local again (even though NOLA is tempting) because it will also increase cost for many unless we could get a super hotel rate. I like the paperless idea as well. I also like the idea that Nichel has to be there....along with a few others who should have been there......we need to work on them now!
Angela Eddy Feemster

Julie Mathies

Post by Julie Mathies »

The open bar definitely affects the overall price per person. We've always gone that route because it was what most people wanted. However, I can definitely see Shane's point. We will definitely discuss this further on the committee, and will see what ideas we come up with. There's always the option of a cash bar....

shane

Post by shane »

Angie wrote:I agree about the 2 level pricing for drinkers and non-drinkers. I like the idea of going local again (even though NOLA is tempting) because it will also increase cost for many unless we could get a super hotel rate. I like the paperless idea as well. I also like the idea that Nichel has to be there....along with a few others who should have been there......we need to work on them now!
Now is the time. That's why we always start early. Facebook and such (and this site) has definitely helped us over the years, but it would be fantastic if we could get some people to show up this time who haven't since 10, or at all.
Shane
--
- Noel Coward

phil

Post by phil »

Julie Mathies wrote:The open bar definitely affects the overall price per person. We've always gone that route because it was what most people wanted.
\m/

phil

Greg Ward

Post by Greg Ward »

Julie Mathies wrote:The open bar definitely affects the overall price per person. We've always gone that route because it was what most people wanted. However, I can definitely see Shane's point. We will definitely discuss this further on the committee, and will see what ideas we come up with. There's always the option of a cash bar....
If you don't do an open bar for everyone, it will likely become a cash bar by default. The reason is, when they price out an open bar they know some people are going to drink more than others. If people can opt out, then they know only the heavy drinkers will opt for the open bar, and the price will get very high per person. Then, most people, except for the really hard core, will just opt to pay cash for what they want to drink.

Shondiharpmulkey

reunion location

Post by Shondiharpmulkey »

Hey, I'm sure ya'll know that the class of '84 just had their 25th at the W hotel in New Orleans. It was really nice and they offered rooms for like a $100.00 per night or something. Alot of people stayed for that. Alot of people were there from out of town and stayed a couple of nights. Then they didnt have to worry about drinking/driving. They had a partial open bar with wine/beer free and mixed drinks you paid for. I'm not sure how much everything cost but I think we paid like $100.00 per couple or something. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Brenda Robinson Jenkins

Post by Brenda Robinson Jenkins »

Shondi, yes it was $100.00 per couple with the beer and wine was included in the price but not the hard liquor. The hotel rooms were $100.00 per night. Great turnout. Great reunion.

What ever location you select, I think you need to price it both ways or three ways, one with just food and non-alcoholic beverages, then price food with beer and wine but no hard liquor and then food with beer, wine, and hard liquor. I don't have any idea how much variation there will be in price (my wedding was the last time I looked at that kind of stuff) but I think you need to weigh the without alcohol pricing against what they are going to actually charge you for drinks at a cash bar.

I plan to be there regardless of location or price. :-)
Brenda

Greg Ward

Post by Greg Ward »

FYI, my early observation was just that, and not really a preference. We'll be there regardless. I like the beer/wine included idea as it might be a nice compromise, but I agree its best to price it out several ways and take the best option. And, I like the hotel idea, getting rooms and spending the night would make it a lot of fun.

shane

Post by shane »

Brenda Robinson Jenkins wrote:Shondi, yes it was $100.00 per couple with the beer and wine was included in the price but not the hard liquor. The hotel rooms were $100.00 per night. Great turnout. Great reunion.

What ever location you select, I think you need to price it both ways or three ways, one with just food and non-alcoholic beverages, then price food with beer and wine but no hard liquor and then food with beer, wine, and hard liquor. I don't have any idea how much variation there will be in price (my wedding was the last time I looked at that kind of stuff) but I think you need to weigh the without alcohol pricing against what they are going to actually charge you for drinks at a cash bar.

I plan to be there regardless of location or price. :-)
Wow, that's a great price and rooms, to boot. That's definitely an option we're looking at.

FYI: We met again July 14 @ Barley Oak and came up with committee assignments: Mark Leach is in charge of venues; Tommy Roe - music; Jerry Cottrell - decorating; Julie Mathies - communication\advertising. I'm chair and treasurer.

I'll be posting some polls here to try to get some more feedback from everyone; be on the lookout for that.

We're meeting again August 12 @ 630pm @ The Barley Oak again. We welcome any and all to help or just hang out with us at our get-togethers\meetings, so come on out. We won't keep you too late, I promise. :lol:
Shane
--
- Noel Coward