Available resources

Growing this site bigger and better. Programmers, designers, developers, etc apply within. Ideas how the site should grow? Speak up!

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

shane

Post by shane »

Tiffany wrote:
jnichel wrote:I think we pretty much just need an eye candy person, and some ideas. I'm guessing forums and a picture gallery are a given; what else?
Eye Candy, I think I know what that is. Isn't it an add on to PSP? I have that. Don't use it much but I have it. I have PSP6 & 9 but mostly use 6 (on a pretty regular basis at work).

Now I saw a lot of eye candy at the reunion, but that's a different kind of eye candy! :twisted:
Oh dear... :roll:

Time to get Mr Lanneau in on this endeavor, don't you think? Eye candy is his bag after all.
Shane
--
I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.
- Noel Coward

Brenda Robinson Jenkins

Post by Brenda Robinson Jenkins »

shane wrote:
Tiffany wrote:
jnichel wrote:I think we pretty much just need an eye candy person, and some ideas. I'm guessing forums and a picture gallery are a given; what else?
Eye Candy, I think I know what that is. Isn't it an add on to PSP? I have that. Don't use it much but I have it. I have PSP6 & 9 but mostly use 6 (on a pretty regular basis at work).

Now I saw a lot of eye candy at the reunion, but that's a different kind of eye candy! :twisted:
Oh dear... :roll:

Time to get Mr Lanneau in on this endeavor, don't you think? Eye candy is his bag after all.
What kind of eye candy is Dan's bag?! :wink:
Brenda

phil

Post by phil »

shane wrote: Time to get Mr Lanneau in on this endeavor, don't you think? Eye candy is his bag after all.
Already done. He's working on a logo for us. :wink:
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez!

phil

jnichel
Site Admin

Post by jnichel »

Phil, if it keeps going like this, we'll have to trade in the .info tld for a .xxx one. :lol:
"This Basil. This Basil's wife. This smack on head."
-- Basil Fawlty

Tiffany

Post by Tiffany »

shane wrote: Oh dear... :roll:

Hey, I just wanted to show that I actually knew something that was said in this thread and have actually used it before. :)

phil

Post by phil »

jnichel wrote:Phil, if it keeps going like this, we'll have to trade in the .info tld for a .xxx one. :lol:
I can see it now.. www.chs86eyecandy.xxx

which is filled with a bunch of pictures of near 40 year olds writhing on a dance floor. :?

phil

shane

Post by shane »

phil wrote:
jnichel wrote:Phil, if it keeps going like this, we'll have to trade in the .info tld for a .xxx one. :lol:

which is filled with a bunch of pictures of near 40 year olds writhing on a dance floor. :?
AARRRGHGGHH MY EYES!! MY EYES!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Shane
--
I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.
- Noel Coward

jnichel
Site Admin

Post by jnichel »

shane wrote:
phil wrote:

AARRRGHGGHH MY EYES!! MY EYES!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
If we can cut a deal with a psychiatry group, it could be quite profitable. :twisted:
-- Basil Fawlty

sheri

Post by sheri »

I'm really excited about the possibilities of the new website you guys.
Wish I had the computer knowledge that ya'll have so I could contribute, but in any case, let me know if there's any thing I can do. Can't wait to see what Dan comes up with. and why hasn't he posted anyway? Anybody remember those special lighters that Dan used to make? He gave me one for graduation. A black Bic with a very intricate "S" design on it in white.

illenbergerj

Post by illenbergerj »

I'd be sure to put those XXX after the . in the name boys, don't want the site getting blocked by everyone's child security settings on their computer!! :wink:
Jan Illenberger

Greg Ward

Post by Greg Ward »

phil wrote:One other thing I can think of is a class directory. Anyone should be able to upload contact info if they want. To go a step further, we could add any email addresses to a master list and create a distribution list so that in the future, Shane et al could just email class_list@chs86.info or something and that would contain all the people that WANT to receive updates and stuff. Don't want to get any more emails? then just remove yourself from the distribution list. changed your email address? then just update your contact info. Once it's in a database, we can do all kinds of k00ky stuff.
Phil, oh geeky one, Umm, how are we going to keep all our beloved personal information secure? Spam is one thing, but id theft another.

Greg

phil

Post by phil »

Greg Ward wrote: Phil, oh geeky one, Umm, how are we going to keep all our beloved personal information secure? Spam is one thing, but id theft another.

Greg
Well, we have to determine what is personal information, and what is "secure". In 3 minutes between reading your post and writing this response, I've typed your name and city of residence into my web browser and came back with results showing your name, current residence and locations of past residence over the past 10 years. I can find out if you've been arrested, your SSN, if you've been late on your bills, etc. Is willfully putting your already available address on a web site any scarier? I put my info in the phone book. It's available to anybody in the world...with my phone number.

That being said, I value personal privacy veeerrrry much. I don't want anybody to give up there social security number and credit card number. And in reality, if I wanted to steal your identity, I'd do it the same way 90% of ID theft occurs - I'd dig through your trash can and find old mail, credit card receipts, bills, account numbers and everything else. :)

http://www.bbbonline.org/IDTheft/safetyQuiz.asp

So, with THAT being said, I think it would be pretty cool if people could add there address to our roster and have it easily available for other class members, while at the same time be somewhat difficult for other non-members to get to.

phil

Greg Ward

Post by Greg Ward »

Yeah, I'm with ya on all that, and I realize how easy it is to get my info, or anyone elses for that matter. I was thinking more about the fact that this will be a "permanent" web site with a convenient LIST of a lot of people born around the same time and place, and more than enough personal information about each one. Easy way for someone to come up with a lot of identities to sell off, minus the dumpster dive. This is why most churches and other organizations don't publish their membership on the web. Its just too easy a harvest for those with ill intents.

So, I'm thinking we need to somehow restrict access to this address list to our membership, which also means we have to vet who can be a member! doh! Uh, if you aint in the yearbook . . .

For what its worth, I like the idea too. I'm not tryin to rain on your parade, just trying to think it through. I never have gotten an address list, were those passed around at the reunion?

phimel

Post by phimel »

Greg,

They were there and we had puhlenty of them. I gave my one copy to Louis before he jetted out of town, so I'm devoid of the actual list myself. I think that we should have some more floating around, just gotta figure out who picked up the remainder of the undistributed copies....

btw, w/ the whole Rush theme. I saw them for the first time in the Spring of 1988, haven't missed a tour since. My 17 year old daughter's favorite band..... all of her friends think she's an 80's freak and even weirder for liking Rush. I came home the other day to her dancing around the house to 'Natural Science'.... (brainwashing does pay!) :twisted:
Patrick Himel

jnichel
Site Admin

Post by jnichel »

Greg Ward wrote:Yeah, I'm with ya on all that, and I realize how easy it is to get my info, or anyone elses for that matter. I was thinking more about the fact that this will be a "permanent" web site with a convenient LIST of a lot of people born around the same time and place, and more than enough personal information about each one. Easy way for someone to come up with a lot of identities to sell off, minus the dumpster dive. This is why most churches and other organizations don't publish their membership on the web. Its just too easy a harvest for those with ill intents.

So, I'm thinking we need to somehow restrict access to this address list to our membership, which also means we have to vet who can be a member! doh! Uh, if you aint in the yearbook . . .

For what its worth, I like the idea too. I'm not tryin to rain on your parade, just trying to think it through. I never have gotten an address list, were those passed around at the reunion?
The only info we'd even store would be of the kind that is already pretty available right now (the type of info Phil was talking about). Thinks like name, address, phone and email address. We wouldn't even have a place for you to enter identity theft type of info (but if you want to store your credit card numbers somewhere, just let me know :twisted: ). I see three levels of 'security'. 1) You can make your info availble to the rest of the site; by this I mean to the registered users who are logged in. 2) You can make your info available only to members of the reunion committee. 3) The most secure method of all, you don't enter in your info at all. :lol:

With all that being said though, I'm going to make all of my info available, even my SSN. If I'm lucky, someone will steal my identity, and then they'll be responsible for my bills. 8) :lol:
-- Basil Fawlty