Available resources

Growing this site bigger and better. Programmers, designers, developers, etc apply within. Ideas how the site should grow? Speak up!

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

jnichel
Site Admin

Post by jnichel »

shane wrote:Has anyone else noticed the new moderator on the board?
... "The massive grey walls of the Temples rise from the heart of every Federation city. I have always been awed by them, to think that every single facet of every life is regulated and directed from within! Our books, our music, our work and play are all looked after by the benevolent wisdom of the priests..."

We've taken care of everything
The words you hear the songs you sing
The pictures that give pleasure to your eyes
It's one for all and all for one
We work together common sons
Never need to wonder how or why

We are the Priests of the Temples of Syrinx
Our great computers fill the hallowed halls
All the gifts of life are held within our walls

Look around this world we made
Equality our stock in trade
Come and join the Brotherhood of Man
Oh what a nice contented world
Let the banners be unfurled
Hold the Red Star proudly high in hand

Our great computers fill the hallowed halls.
All the gifts of life are held within our walls.
Welcome to the Priests of Syrinx, ya'll.
I have all kinds of Rush influences pegged on here. :lol:

Now everyone hold your Red Star proudly high in hand....
Attachments
star_man.jpg
"This Basil. This Basil's wife. This smack on head."
-- Basil Fawlty

jnichel
Site Admin

Post by jnichel »

Oh, and the Priests are the moderator group. All the members of the group...

shane
Angie
JerryFish
Julie Mathies
leslie71091
phil
phime
sheri
Tiffany
TommyRoe
Tonya

Have moderator access. "Priests of Syrinx" is just so much a fitting name. :twisted: :lol:
-- Basil Fawlty

jnichel
Site Admin

Post by jnichel »

phil wrote:You know, I'm thinking a news/blog type site is more fitting than I first thought. In addition to a gallery and forum (which I say we don't mess with, because it works great, people are used to it and it's got gobs of stuff already on it..) We would probably want an updated news blurb about goings on. With a typical news type site, we could have defined editors that could write up stories of interest to the group. Think Slashdot for the chs86 class.
And a RSS feed. 8)

I like the idea of a blog. Probably and event calendar as well.
phil wrote:One other thing I can think of is a class directory. Anyone should be able to upload contact info if they want. To go a step further, we could add any email addresses to a master list and create a distribution list so that in the future, Shane et al could just email class_list@chs86.info or something and that would contain all the people that WANT to receive updates and stuff. Don't want to get any more emails? then just remove yourself from the distribution list. changed your email address? then just update your contact info. Once it's in a database, we can do all kinds of k00ky stuff.
Like sell it to the spammers. :twisted:
Last edited by jnichel on Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Basil Fawlty

phil

Post by phil »

jnichel wrote:
Probably and event calendar as well.
BAM! kick it up a notch.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez!

phil

Brenda Robinson Jenkins

Post by Brenda Robinson Jenkins »

JerryFish wrote:WTF?????? :shock:
My thoughts exactly Jerry! :shock: Phil began to lose me at Linux (debian sarge). You don't know want to know what my first thought was when he said "giving root out". :oops: I thought ssh access meant we couldn't tell anyone. :o And somewhere between talk of opening up to ftp and something about scp storing all our files, I was a complete goner. :cry: I read the rest with a blank stare on my face.

Like Tiffany, I am willing to help, :) but my computer langauge and skills are obviously seriously below Phil and John who I can't even freaking understand! : :shock:
Brenda

Brenda Robinson Jenkins

Yeah - Shane I noticed yesterday or maybe even Sunday. I was fixing to ask what it meant but I think I have received the explanation in this forum.
Brenda

phil

Post by phil »

didn't mean to get anybody lost, it was mostly a post for the programmer types on the site. :)

phil

Brenda Robinson Jenkins

phil wrote:didn't mean to get anybody lost, it was mostly a post for the programmer types on the site. :)
Hey I am just glad we have you computer geniuses here to do all this! I love the site! (if you hadn't noticed) :roll:
Brenda

lapochevide

Computer lingo

Post by lapochevide »

:oops: Thanks to all the techies taking care of things on this site. It's funny-my last year teaching was Elementary computer. hahaha I quit work on my Master's while attempting html. I've forgotten more than I ever learned or taught. THANKS AGAIN

Cathy

illenbergerj

Post by illenbergerj »

jnichel wrote:
... "The massive grey walls of the Temples rise from the heart of every Federation city. I have always been awed by them, to think that every single facet of every life is regulated and directed from within! Our books, our music, our work and play are all looked after by the benevolent wisdom of the priests..."

We've taken care of everything
The words you hear the songs you sing
The pictures that give pleasure to your eyes
It's one for all and all for one
We work together common sons
Never need to wonder how or why

Our great computers fill the hallowed halls
All the gifts of life are held within our walls

Look around this world we made
Equality our stock in trade
Come and join the Brotherhood of Man
Oh what a nice contented world
Let the banners be unfurled
Hold the Red Star proudly high in hand

Our great computers fill the hallowed halls.
All the gifts of life are held within our walls.
I have all kinds of Rush influences pegged on here. :lol:

Now everyone hold your Red Star proudly high in hand....
It's like reading the prelude to EQ2 when it loads...lol...and the defenders of Norath will come and save the realm...
Jan Illenberger

shane

Post by shane »

phil wrote:
jnichel wrote: I think we pretty much just need an eye candy person, and some ideas. I'm guessing forums and a picture gallery are a given; what else?
You know, I'm thinking a news/blog type site is more fitting than I first thought. In addition to a gallery and forum (which I say we don't mess with, because it works great, people are used to it and it's got gobs of stuff already on it..) We would probably want an updated news blurb about goings on. With a typical news type site, we could have defined editors that could write up stories of interest to the group. Think Slashdot for the chs86 class.

One other thing I can think of is a class directory. Anyone should be able to upload contact info if they want. To go a step further, we could add any email addresses to a master list and create a distribution list so that in the future, Shane et al could just email class_list@chs86.info or something and that would contain all the people that WANT to receive updates and stuff. Don't want to get any more emails? then just remove yourself from the distribution list. changed your email address? then just update your contact info. Once it's in a database, we can do all kinds of k00ky stuff.
This sounds great, Phil. I like the Slashdot model. And my biggest concern when we started thinking of revamping things was getting away from a something that already works.

The one concern that came up when we were discussing online directory earlier was privacy; how secure would the information be from anyone trolling about out there? I think if we could reassure people that their addresses, phones, etc would only be available to members of our group, we'd have something.
Shane
--
I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.
- Noel Coward

phil

Post by phil »

shane wrote:
...and the meek shall inherit the site.

phil

phil

Post by phil »

shane wrote: The one concern that came up when we were discussing online directory earlier was privacy; how secure would the information be from anyone trolling about out there? I think if we could reassure people that their addresses, phones, etc would only be available to members of our group, we'd have something.
Absolutely. Privacy is a number one concern. At the low end of the model, we could make it so that only logged in members would have access. At the high end, the user would submit the info to a black hole where it would never show up on the site at all, only accessible by a chosen few - the "priests" if you will.

phil

Julie Mathies

Post by Julie Mathies »

Phil, I too don't understand some of the programming lingo, but from what I do get, your ideas are outstanding. I've maintained a master class list through Excel with names, addresses, phone #'s & emails. If it can be used to incorporate something into the site, let me know, and I'll email it to you.

Tiffany

Post by Tiffany »

jnichel wrote:I think we pretty much just need an eye candy person, and some ideas. I'm guessing forums and a picture gallery are a given; what else?
Eye Candy, I think I know what that is. Isn't it an add on to PSP? I have that. Don't use it much but I have it. I have PSP6 & 9 but mostly use 6 (on a pretty regular basis at work).

Now I saw a lot of eye candy at the reunion, but that's a different kind of eye candy! :twisted: