Available resources

Growing this site bigger and better. Programmers, designers, developers, etc apply within. Ideas how the site should grow? Speak up!

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

phil

Available resources

Post by phil »

As I've said before, I've got everything needed to support and develop a web site. Let me break it down more as to what I have, and what access I can give.

I have a Linux (debian sarge) virtual server that has nothing else on it, meaning I feel OK about giving root out. I have full access to the box and surrounding network, and can allow in ssh access. I don't want to open up ftp, if I can help it. scp should give all the file transfer ability needed. Any type of development can be used, ranging from typical php, mod_perl etc. Any database that is needed including mysql, postgres, firebird or whatever can be installed.

The box is connected to the network via a T1, so it's a pretty stable and static.

I've registered the domain chs86.info, and have full control of the dns servers for that domain. So we could have www.chs86.info, forums.chs86.info, gallery.chs86.info, etc.

If anybody feels like volunteering devel time, that would be awesome. If anybody has other ideas or other resources, let's hear 'em. I'd really like to turn the CHS 86 site into something bigger. I think it would be loads of fun.
Last edited by phil on Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez!

phil

Tiffany

Post by Tiffany »

Phil, that is such an awesome idea!! I would love to help in any way I can, but I am not technically minded at all. But let me know if I can do anything.

jnichel
Site Admin

Post by jnichel »

Dev time I have. Well, I have *some* free time. My HTML/graphic/design skills are lacking, but I'm quite familiar with Perl and PHP (haven't really used Perl in about 4 years though). MySQL is my db of choice, and am far more comfortable in the *nix world than in the Winblows world. I think we pretty much just need an eye candy person, and some ideas. I'm guessing forums and a picture gallery are a given; what else?
"This Basil. This Basil's wife. This smack on head."
-- Basil Fawlty

JerryFish

Post by JerryFish »

WTF?????? :shock:
Jerry Cottrell

You can't legislate intelligence and common sense into people.

Will Rogers

jnichel
Site Admin

Post by jnichel »

Tiffany wrote:Phil, that is such an awesome idea!! I would love to help in any way I can, but I am not technically minded at all. But let me know if I can do anything.
Think of what you like to see out of the site....features and such. You dream it, we'll build it, that sort of thing (as long as you don't dream the impossible like my boss does :? ).
-- Basil Fawlty

jnichel
Site Admin

Post by jnichel »

JerryFish wrote:WTF?????? :shock:
Must be the jet lag.
-- Basil Fawlty

Tiffany

Post by Tiffany »

:lol: That's what I was thinking!!

jnichel wrote:Think of what you like to see out of the site....features and such. You dream it, we'll build it, that sort of thing (as long as you don't dream the impossible like my boss does ).
Ok, I'll see what I can come up with.

JerryFish

Post by JerryFish »

Or the Booze.....
Jerry Cottrell

Will Rogers

JerryFish

Post by JerryFish »

I just figured you and Phil were throwing out letters, so I'd throw out some of mine.....
Jerry Cottrell

Will Rogers

Tonya

Post by Tonya »

I'm with Jerry and Tiffany! WTF!!!!!! Is that english?

Phil, It was great seeing you this weekend.

Tonya

phil

Post by phil »

jnichel wrote:and am far more comfortable in the *nix world than in the Winblows world.
and that prompts my rule number one: I won't host a windows box.

phil

shane

Post by shane »

Has anyone else noticed the new moderator on the board?
... "The massive grey walls of the Temples rise from the heart of every Federation city. I have always been awed by them, to think that every single facet of every life is regulated and directed from within! Our books, our music, our work and play are all looked after by the benevolent wisdom of the priests..."

We've taken care of everything
The words you hear the songs you sing
The pictures that give pleasure to your eyes
It's one for all and all for one
We work together common sons
Never need to wonder how or why

We are the Priests of the Temples of Syrinx
Our great computers fill the hallowed halls
All the gifts of life are held within our walls

Look around this world we made
Equality our stock in trade
Come and join the Brotherhood of Man
Oh what a nice contented world
Let the banners be unfurled
Hold the Red Star proudly high in hand

Our great computers fill the hallowed halls.
All the gifts of life are held within our walls.
Welcome to the Priests of Syrinx, ya'll.
Shane
--
I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.
- Noel Coward

shane

Post by shane »

jnichel wrote:Dev time I have. Well, I have *some* free time. My HTML/graphic/design skills are lacking, but I'm quite familiar with Perl and PHP (haven't really used Perl in about 4 years though). MySQL is my db of choice, and am far more comfortable in the *nix world than in the Winblows world. I think we pretty much just need an eye candy person, and some ideas. I'm guessing forums and a picture gallery are a given; what else?
At least I'm familiar with the terms, although I have little or no hands-on experience with anything other than HTML. Jerry and Tiffany must have been drowning in techno-babble.

I'm going to get in touch with Keith Taubin to see what, if anything, he can do for us on the graphic side of things.
Shane
--
I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.
- Noel Coward

phil

Post by phil »

jnichel wrote: I think we pretty much just need an eye candy person, and some ideas. I'm guessing forums and a picture gallery are a given; what else?
You know, I'm thinking a news/blog type site is more fitting than I first thought. In addition to a gallery and forum (which I say we don't mess with, because it works great, people are used to it and it's got gobs of stuff already on it..) We would probably want an updated news blurb about goings on. With a typical news type site, we could have defined editors that could write up stories of interest to the group. Think Slashdot for the chs86 class.

One other thing I can think of is a class directory. Anyone should be able to upload contact info if they want. To go a step further, we could add any email addresses to a master list and create a distribution list so that in the future, Shane et al could just email class_list@chs86.info or something and that would contain all the people that WANT to receive updates and stuff. Don't want to get any more emails? then just remove yourself from the distribution list. changed your email address? then just update your contact info. Once it's in a database, we can do all kinds of k00ky stuff.

phil

melindam

Post by melindam »

My sentiments exactly! :?