Available resources

Growing this site bigger and better. Programmers, designers, developers, etc apply within. Ideas how the site should grow? Speak up!

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Julie Mathies

Post by Julie Mathies »

Greg & Patrick.....I have the leftover Directories.....would be glad to get one to you. I can drop one in the mail....just let me know if you're interested.

Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Gosh, 10 days without Internet, that's the first and last time :-)

I wouldn't mind having my personal info displayed on a page that is only available for members as long as member registration is controlled by a moderator. There are loads of free CMS (I use Textpattern) out there which offer all the desired functionalities. I do have some graphic design and CSS, HTML skills but am very tied up with work until January. Wouldn't mind helping out if necessary.
Maarten

Brenda Robinson Jenkins

Post by Brenda Robinson Jenkins »

Greg Ward wrote:So, I'm thinking we need to somehow restrict access to this address list to our membership, which also means we have to vet who can be a member! doh! Uh, if you aint in the yearbook . . . For what its worth, I like the idea too. I'm not tryin to rain on your parade, just trying to think it through.
I like the idea of restricting access/membership to actual graduates of CHS, particularly with regard to the address list. I am not the computer expert so I don't know if this is even a possibility or pehaps this has already been done and I am not aware of it.

I have added concerns with the pictures of our kids being posted in conjunction with the address list - Pedophiles could actually register as a member and see the picture of a particular kid that catches his/her fancy, for lack of a better word, and have an address to find the kid. There are some registered users now that I have no clue who they are by the way they registered their name - if they make a post, I usually then know who they are. But some of those users have not posted.

Of course, I am in the phone book too like Phil said so I wouldn't be that hard to find. But most pedophiles don't know by looking at my name and address in the phone book that I have children. And I am sure there are all kinds of things they could find out about me by using internet searches.

Perhaps I am over thinking this or maybe you have already taken care of this, just wanted to put my thoughts out there.
Brenda

shane

Post by shane »

Brenda Robinson Jenkins wrote:
Greg Ward wrote:So, I'm thinking we need to somehow restrict access to this address list to our membership, which also means we have to vet who can be a member! doh! Uh, if you aint in the yearbook . . . For what its worth, I like the idea too. I'm not tryin to rain on your parade, just trying to think it through.
I like the idea of restricting access/membership to actual graduates of CHS, particularly with regard to the address list. I am not the computer expert so I don't know if this is even a possibility or pehaps this has already been done and I am not aware of it.

I have added concerns with the pictures of our kids being posted in conjunction with the address list - Pedophiles could actually register as a member and see the picture of a particular kid that catches his/her fancy, for lack of a better word, and have an address to find the kid. There are some registered users now that I have no clue who they are by the way they registered their name - if they make a post, I usually then know who they are. But some of those users have not posted.

Of course, I am in the phone book too like Phil said so I wouldn't be that hard to find. But most pedophiles don't know by looking at my name and address in the phone book that I have children. And I am sure there are all kinds of things they could find out about me by using internet searches.

Perhaps I am over thinking this or maybe you have already taken care of this, just wanted to put my thoughts out there.
Not to minimize your concerns, Brenda, but I think anyone who wanted to do anything you described could do so now.

That said, I'd like to see first and last name required to register, so you would know who's there. I realize anyone could put in a false name, but someone wouldn't be able to just put in any name they pulled out of the air. Despite the fact that I've always considered our class to be anyone who started CHS in 1983 and we've allowed those from other classes to join, we do have a finite membership.
Shane
--
I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.
- Noel Coward

Julie Mathies

Post by Julie Mathies »

I like Shane's idea of requiring first & last name to register. I like seeing who's online!! (And it will help us keep our master list updated for future events.) However, what about our "guests". Should we exclude them and force them to log on?

Brenda Robinson Jenkins

Post by Brenda Robinson Jenkins »

shane wrote:Not to minimize your concerns, Brenda, but I think anyone who wanted to do anything you described could do so now.

That said, I'd like to see first and last name required to register, so you would know who's there. I realize anyone could put in a false name, but someone wouldn't be able to just put in any name they pulled out of the air. Despite the fact that I've always considered our class to be anyone who started CHS in 1983 and we've allowed those from other classes to join, we do have a finite membership.
Yeah - Shane - I realized that as I was typing my concerns that I thought about that a little too late as I had already posted pictures of my kids a month ago and identified my kids by name, age etc. on the site. I guess I was so excited about the site, I didn't stop to really think about other issues when I put all that information "out there", so the "damage" has already been done in my case. Then when discussions about the future of the site came up, that thought came to mind.

I do however like your idea about having a first and last name to be required to register. And Julie's idea about perhaps requiring the guest to register to have access to the site.
Brenda

Greg Ward

Post by Greg Ward »

Julie Mathies wrote:Greg & Patrick.....I have the leftover Directories.....would be glad to get one to you. I can drop one in the mail....just let me know if you're interested.
Gimme, gimme. Uhh, I mean, yes please. (We've been working on manners a lot with our kids lately, I never posted ages elsewhere, but Gregory is 4 and Samantha is almost 3).

Is my address in that list or do I need to post it here for the world to see? :wink: :lol:

Angie

Post by Angie »

....and, Greg, where are the pictures of your children.....now I am saying "gimme gimme"....you guys are a gorgeous couple...I bet those kids are gorgeous too!
Angela Eddy Feemster

Julie Mathies

Post by Julie Mathies »

Greg, got ya taken care of. I have your address, so will drop one in the mail to you tomorrow.

madonnatoneygiacona

Post by madonnatoneygiacona »

Greg Ward wrote:
Julie Mathies wrote:Greg & Patrick.....I have the leftover Directories.....would be glad to get one to you. I can drop one in the mail....just let me know if you're interested.
Gimme, gimme. Uhh, I mean, yes please. (We've been working on manners a lot with our kids lately, I never posted ages elsewhere, but Gregory is 4 and Samantha is almost 3).

Is my address in that list or do I need to post it here for the world to see? :wink: :lol:

JUlie - would you please send me a copy of the directory?

Thanks in advance,
Madonna Toney Giacona

Greg Ward

Post by Greg Ward »

Julie Mathies wrote:Greg, got ya taken care of. I have your address, so will drop one in the mail to you tomorrow.
Thanks Jules, you're the bomb.

BTW, my "office" is the PJ's on 190 (really, I work from home, but with two kids the ages of ours no work get's done at home). I'm there most week days, so if any of you are ever around drop in and chat. I'll be the one sitting in a booth behind two laptops!

Julie Mathies

Post by Julie Mathies »

Madonna, got you covered, too. Will drop yours in the mail tomorrow.

Angie

Post by Angie »

Madonna - can you drop a shrimp poboy dressed in the mail to me? Go ahead and send one to my buddy, Jerry, as well.
Angela Eddy Feemster

phil

Post by phil »

jnichel wrote:
And a RSS feed. 8)

I like the idea of a blog. Probably and event calendar as well.
got the rss... and the calendar.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez!

phil

JerryFish

Post by JerryFish »

Angie wrote:Madonna - can you drop a shrimp poboy dressed in the mail to me? Go ahead and send one to my buddy, Jerry, as well.
UUUMMMM.....Can taste it now....Thanks Angie....
Jerry Cottrell

You can't legislate intelligence and common sense into people.

Will Rogers