SEAN HANEMANN (85)

Suddenly you were gone, from all the lives you left your mark upon

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

mark

SEAN HANEMANN (85)

Post by mark »

For those of you who knew him, Sean Hanemann was shot and killed in Honduras last week. He owned a restaurant/bar there, and has been married to a prominent Honduran native for around 15 years and they have two kids. I ran track and cross country with Sean and counted him a pretty good friend. I haven't seen him since college. Sean and his dad are who inspired my dad and I to start running. Sean was the youngest person ever to complete the Mardi Gras marathon in the early 80's.

Sean helped CHS win two state championships in Cross Country. There was never a dull moment when he was around. He served in two wars Panama (Noriega), and Iraq (91). Matt Fritscher, Blake Pennington, David Fortman, and I attended a memorial in Hammond. Sean was buried in Honduras. Mostly family was there but I suppose our contingent represented all his old Covington friends. I spoke with his father, Jerry Hanemann, and his brother and rec'd this first hand account of what happened. Sean's brother is a La State Trooper.

Sean was closing his restaurant after midnight when four military police approached the locked door demanding he reopen. Sean declined. The colonel then insulted Sean calling him a "Gringo" who was nothing in his country. Sean still declined. The four men left and Sean let his guard down. But the four military police left only to get their firearms and a hammer to break into Sean's restaurant. They broke through the door and the colonel shot Sean in the heart.

Those of you who knew Sean's fighting spirit will appreciate this. Sean managed to return fire and kill the corrupt colonel. The colonel's brother then emptied his clip into Sean then descreated him further with the hammer. The colonel's brother is awaiting trial. This was big news in Honduras because Sean's wife is from a prominent family which means they should be safe from further reprisals. It seems law and justice operate in Honduras a little like our old west. Apparently Sean was well liked by many Honduran locals and was a leader in the community. It is said Sean helped the area rebuild from a major hurricane that hit several years back. Sean's family read several emotional testimonies from his Honduran friends.

Also, it is said many locals celebrated the colonel's death because of his ruthlessness. There is word that the colonel and his relatives were under the influence the night of the tragedy. It is said the U.S. military base or naval vessel in the area was locked down as our serviceman were quite angry about Sean's death...his establishment apparently was one of the few places they were welcomed for R & R in Honduras.

Sean's death is consisent with the Sean I knew in high school. He'd never back down from a fight no matter how big the bully was and he was as nice as could be to everyone he met; but he didn't take flack from anyone. I hear he was a great soldier.

If anyone has memories of Sean then please post in honor of his passing. I really hate the thought that he's no longer around.
Last edited by mark on Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiffany

Post by Tiffany »

This is such a tragedy. I am so sorry for his wife, kids and extended family.

I remember Sean fondly. I remember during our 11th grade year Laurice told me that Sean "liked" me and so we started dating. He was always so nice to everyone and even though I don't recall what happened to our relationship, I know we didn't end on bad terms. We got together a few years after graduation and wrote to each other for a while. He was in the military at the time but I can't remember where he was stationed at. I still have the letters so I will have to see where they were sent from. We lost touch after that. I believe this was in 88 or 89.

This is just so sad, I can't believe it. I definitely know what you mean Mark about Sean being a fighter. He was a remarkable man.

Tiffany

Post by Tiffany »

from Nola.com:
Hanemann, Sean Keith

Sean Keith Hanemann, 39, on Wednesday, November 29 in Comayagua, Honduras. Beloved husband of Carolina Petit Hanemann. Loving father of Jean-Mark and Jean-Marie Hanemann. Cherished son of Gerald Paul Hanemann and Susan Genre Tingle. Beloved brother to Jason Kyle Hanemann. Sadly missed by friends and family. Mr. Hanemann was a restauraunteur, real estate broker, and enterpreneur. He was a member of the 101st Airborne and served in the invasion of Panama and Desert Storm. Funeral Services were held in Honduras on Wednesday. Relatives and friends of the family are invited to attend a Memorial Service on Saturday, December 2 at the home of David Sherer, 419 Pinecrest Dr., Hammond LA. For directions, call 985-345-6070.
Published in The Times-Picayune on 12/1/2006.

madonnatoneygiacona

Post by madonnatoneygiacona »

What TRAGIC news. I am so heart broken to hear this! Tiffany & Mark, thanks for posting info. Does anyone know if there is a fund set up for the
children?

Madonna

mark

CLARIFICATION

Post by mark »

I believe Sean's family is in good shape. My understanding is that his wife's family is prominent in Honduras. If I hear anything different, I will let you all know.

P.S. - Just for clarification, anything in my post that is prefaced by "It is said" or "it appears or seems" means it is not confirmed by me. My information came from Sean's dad and brother and the description of Sean's death is trustworthy.
Mark J Leach

phil

Re: SEAN HANEMANN (85)

Post by phil »

mark wrote: Sean's death is consisent with Sean I knew in high school. He'd never back down from a fight no matter how big the bully was and he was as nice as could be to everyone he met; but he didn't take flack from anyone. I hear he was a great soldier.
That's the Sean I will always remember. I raise a glass to you, Sean. Rest in peace, brother.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez!

phil

Brenda Robinson Jenkins

Post by Brenda Robinson Jenkins »

Mark - thank you so much for telling us about Sean and sharing your thoughts and memories. I am sure he truly appreciated what a great friend you must have been to him. Sounds like he meant so much to you as well.

I heard the tragic news Saturday from Ben and Dodie Knight. They didn't know many details, just that he had been shot and killed by a police officer in his restaurant and that he shot and killed the police officer before he died.

SO sorry to hear of this terrible loss. I knew who Sean was but did not know him very well. I do always recall a grin on his face. Sounds like one hell of a man, father, husband, and soldier. My prayers go out to his family and friends during this heartbreaking time. I also hope that any others involved his horrendous death be punished to the full extent of the law. I guess that is not a very Christian thing to wish for but your description of what they did to Sean is sickening to say the least.
Brenda

Julie Mathies

Post by Julie Mathies »

Mark, thanks so much for sharing this. Sean lived right down the road from me when we were kids. He was ALL BOY -- was always playing in the ditches (crawfishing I guess in high rubber boots!), and you could could always see Sean walking down the street with a fishing pole. Wow. I haven't seen him years. I believe last time was in 1992....he stopped by my parents house one day to say hello. I'll never forget him.

phil

Post by phil »

A memorial site for Sean made by his brother.

http://sean-hanemann.memory-of.com/
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez!

phil

Tiffany

Post by Tiffany »

Thank you for sharing his memorial site.

ccoopermetz

Post by ccoopermetz »

How very very sad. Yes I remember Sean. Didn't know him well at all. What a terrible loss for his friends and family.

shane

Post by shane »

Sean and I had quite a history together when we were kids. We had the same godfather, although I forgot that fact after our godfather died (I was around 10).

Sean and I crossed paths again in jr high. To say we didn't like each other would be an understatement. Anytime we were in any proximity to one another, tempers flared, usually with Sean refusing to let it go. I remember things coming to blows once and I got him in a head lock and wouldn't let go until someone pulled us off each other. I despised him for a while and was grateful when he moved up to Covington High.

When I got there, things changed. We crossed paths again and I held my breath, waiting for something to happen, but it never did. In fact, we got to be friends. I don't think we ever talked about our shared godfather or what it was that caused such animosity between us, but I was happy and proud to call him a friend.

If such a thing is possible, I suppose Sean and our Uncle Shelby are together again. Makes me a little envious. I mourn for Sean and his family.
Shane
--
I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.
- Noel Coward