Moving to Jerusalem

Anything and everything. Come on in and chew the fat.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Greg Ward

Moving to Jerusalem

Post by Greg Ward »

Hi everyone, sorry it has been so long since I've posted anything, but I've been kind of busy. Ok, a whole lot of busy. Anyway, what has come out of the past few months since the reunion is an opportunity to go back to school. So . . . the Ward family (my part that is) is moving to Jerusalem next month. I've been accepted into a MA at Hebrew University, where I will be studying . . . Hebrew (and several other related languages). The goal is to get a PhD (Is that Permanent Head Damage, or Piled High and Deep?) in Hebrew Bible. So, we will be in Jerusalem for about 2 years, perhaps a little longer, and then on to a PhD, at a location yet to be determined.

Anyway, now we have a month to sell everything. Ok, not everything, but it feels like it: house, cars, major appliances, some furniture. Everything must go! I think I'm turning into a really bad TV commercial. We are very excited about it all, but feeling a bit overwhelmed by everything that has to get done. Oh, and did I mention we still need to find an apartment!

So, update done. Let the chaos/adventure begin. I shall keep you all posted on how it goes. If you are of a mind to pray, we would appreciate it.

Greg

Angie

Post by Angie »

Best of luck on your next big adventure, Greg! How very exciting!
Angela Eddy Feemster

JerryFish

Post by JerryFish »

You're going to love it Greg, best of luck. Let us know what you're flogging, might be able to help you out. :D
Jerry Cottrell

You can't legislate intelligence and common sense into people.

Will Rogers

shane

Post by shane »

Best of luck to you, Greg. That's going to be some serious culture shock. Please keep up with us and let us know how you're all doing.
Shane
--
I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.
- Noel Coward

Julie Mathies

Post by Julie Mathies »

What an exciting move, Greg!!! All the best to you & your family. Be sure to keep us posted on all your goings-on, and post some pics!!!

Greg Ward

Post by Greg Ward »

Hi Everyone,

We're here in Jerusalem now, and have been for about 6 weeks or so. Had an adventure getting here, British Airways got us into London late, which meant we missed our connection and spent one jet lagged night in London. Then they lost our luggage, of course!

Living here has been interesting. It is beautiful, but there has been considerable culture shock to adjust to, too. The weather in Jerusalem is mostly great, but there have been a few days of heat too. Our first apartment hasn't worked out as planned, but we've found a place we like a lot and will be moving in August 1.

Summer school is going well. I've been swimming in the Dead Sea (Yam Hamela) and the Sea of Galilee (Yam Kinneret), seen some pretty incredible archaeological ruins, and best of all I've managed to learn some Hebrew too! Anyway, we've set up a website/blog. I haven't really posted anything yet, but Sarah and her mom have put up a good bit of pictures and stuff. So check it out if you want to keep up with our lives!

It's late here, so "Layla Tov" (Good Night).

Greg

shane

Post by shane »

Greg Ward wrote:Hi Everyone,

We're here in Jerusalem now, and have been for about 6 weeks or so. Had an adventure getting here, British Airways got us into London late, which meant we missed our connection and spent one jet lagged night in London. Then they lost our luggage, of course!

Living here has been interesting. It is beautiful, but there has been considerable culture shock to adjust to, too. The weather in Jerusalem is mostly great, but there have been a few days of heat too. Our first apartment hasn't worked out as planned, but we've found a place we like a lot and will be moving in August 1.

Summer school is going well. I've been swimming in the Dead Sea (Yam Hamela) and the Sea of Galilee (Yam Kinneret), seen some pretty incredible archaeological ruins, and best of all I've managed to learn some Hebrew too! Anyway, we've set up a website/blog. I haven't really posted anything yet, but Sarah and her mom have put up a good bit of pictures and stuff. So check it out if you want to keep up with our lives!

It's late here, so "Layla Tov" (Good Night).

Greg
Glad to hear you're all settling in over in the Holy Land! I'll be checking the blog to keep up with this adventure you and the family are on. It sounds amazing!

BTW, what's the address of your blog?
Shane
--
I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.
- Noel Coward

Greg Ward

Post by Greg Ward »

Doh! forgot to put up the link!

http://web.mac.com/sarahward3/iWeb/Ward ... lcome.html

I just remembered it has a password securing it, so I guess you better e-mail me for the password.

Greg

Angie

Post by Angie »

Greg & Sarah - the site is fantastic....will keep checking it...the blog is interesting...hearing about normal life in Jerusalem.
Angela Eddy Feemster

Greg Ward

Post by Greg Ward »

BTW, Angie and a few others had asked me at times about saftey concerns over here, and naturally it is something we thought about and checked into a good bit before we came. Having been here over a month now, I would have to honestly say that saftey is probably the last thing on our minds. Israel, and Jerusalem in particular, are very safe places to live.

Other assorted observations: there is a thriving wine business with some very, very good wines. The Golan Heights are an ideal climate/soil combination for growing grapes. I had a Cabernet the other day that was excellent. The beer isn't bad either. The local beer is called Goldstar, and they have a nice amber to dark lager. Better still is a Tuborg (Danish I think?) which is readily available. As for food, fresh fruit and vegies are fantastic, as is the bread. Humous is also very good, and very cheap. Meat is not so great. Chicken is easy enough to come buy. Beef is available, but not as good as in the states. Pork . . . not so much, although Sarah did find a restraunt with a BLT the other day and went nuts!

I've been joking about starting a kosher Cajun restraunt, but there wouldn't be anything to serve! Both shell fish and pork are big kosher no nos, not to mention any combination of cheese and meat.

Greg

Angie

Post by Angie »

Greg - I hear ya....the fruit and veg we got in UK was excellent....some came from Isreal, but most came from Africa....never had such good produce. I saw a special about the area recently....very interesting...about the wall that was built and about the fight for water at times of drought.
Angela Eddy Feemster

Angie

Post by Angie »

Greg - can you email me again with your username and password for your site? I got a new computer and somehow lost it...I like to check your site often...and esp with the latest violence south of you...
Angela Eddy Feemster

Greg Ward

Post by Greg Ward »

Hi Angie,

E-mail on the way. We just updated the site with pictures from Petra. Its an amazing place. Anybody else wants to see, send me an e-mail. Sorry its been so long since I've posted. I've been absurdly busy. (Not that that's a new thing really.) Anyway, we are all fine, were a little tense here after the Yeshiva attack last week, but it seems to have settled down some now.

Greg