Mardi Gras 2007

Anything and everything. Come on in and chew the fat.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Julie Mathies

Post by Julie Mathies »

John, not too sure if he thinks he's lucky! He gets so shy....I forced him to take that picture with Ms LA! :wink:

Julie Mathies

Post by Julie Mathies »

Hey everyone....don't forget....Shane is riding in Krewe of Hermes uptown tonight! If you're venturing to the Southshore, go check him out on the dragon float.

For those staying on the northshore...anyone going to Orpheus tonight in Mandeville?? If so....where will you be? :D

Bundle up, and have a great time!!!

ccoopermetz

Fat Tuesday in Covington

Post by ccoopermetz »

anyone staying in cov on tues for the 2-3 morning parades? where will you be? we usually stand near pitcher.

madonnatoneygiacona

Post by madonnatoneygiacona »

Yes, I have plenty of pics. Not sure of the web address...Once I get it, I will be glad to post!

Madonna

Angie

Post by Angie »

Come on you Mardi Gras revelers! Wakey Wakey! Your European classmates want to know all about it.....spare no details.....
Angela Eddy Feemster

JerryFish

Post by JerryFish »

Angie wrote:Come on you Mardi Gras revelers! Wakey Wakey! Your European classmates want to know all about it.....spare no details.....
Yeah, What she said!!!!!......Inquiring minds want to know..... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Jerry Cottrell

You can't legislate intelligence and common sense into people.

Will Rogers

sheri

Post by sheri »

So O.K. you guys, yes I am SLOWLY waking up this morning, and what a Mardi Gras it was! Yesterday was great. HusbandJohn and I marched in this fun quirky French Qtr marching club parade that goes down Royal straight into the qtr. It was so much fun!! There were so many people in really great creative costumes. We started our day off as we traditionally do - at Port of Call for 2 big Monsoons. After marching down Royal we stopped at the Montleone hoping to see Pete Fountain's Half Fast Marching Club - they disband there. But we were there too late. Anyway then we walked back through the qtr, witnessed the debauchery on Bourbon, headed toward St. Ann for a little dancing at OZ, the onto to Frenchmen Street, for a great street party of probably 1000 or more with more cool costumes. We ducked into this cool little bar called the Spotted Cat. John and I love it there. They had a great little band as always, and that was fun. We have a rule that we follow every year - as the sun begins to set, it's time to head in. So we walked back over to Port of Call to END our Mardi Gras as we traditionally do, with 2 big Hamburgers and loaded baked potatoes. (They've got the best in the city)! Then we called John's sister to come Pick Us Up! whew. That's my Mardi Gras day. I didn't even mention the last weekend on the Ave. We've been at this for 12 days. I'm exhausted, but it was great. I'm glad it's only once a year. Speaking of the Avenue, saw Shane in the Krewe of Hermes Friday Night and was he having fun! Threw me lots of good stuff, too. :lol: And that's your Mardi Gras update. Goin' to get my ashes :wink: sheri
Last edited by sheri on Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JerryFish

Post by JerryFish »

Thank You Very Much!!!!!!!!!!! :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:
Jerry Cottrell

Will Rogers

shane

Post by shane »

I've got some pictures as well; need to get them developed and I'll post. Saw Sheri and HusbandJohn as well on the ride. Wow, what a blast! If I could afford it, I'd join 4 different krewes and parade Friday through Monday. As it was, we stayed at friends who live on the Uptown parade route and came home with bags and bags of crap; literally, the car was packed tight and riding low when we packed up to come home.

The ride Friday night in Hermes was phenomenal; I can't say enough about it. Watching the faces of people as we rode by: every age, every color, every religion, every income level, all screaming for the cheap plastic I dangled above my head. I think the most fun was trying to hit people up in buildings or reviewing stands; I discovered I can't hit a garbage can from 5 feet, but I can bean a chick in a third floor window from 20 yards... go figure.

Now I just have to get a job so I can afford to join a krewe and ride all the time. Dennis and I have talking about doing it for years; I think we may do it now. Next year, Melissa and I are taking the kids to the Qtr like we did when we lived there. Sophia had a such a great time the last time we took her. This article from the Picayune is terrific, brought back a lot of memories: http://www.nola.com/rose/t-p/index.ssf? ... xml&coll=1

On a more general note, there were more people at parades this year than last and everyone's feeling really positive about the whole thing. It went great and the city came out looking well.

Pictures will be posted when they're ready.
Shane
--
I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.
- Noel Coward

jnichel
Site Admin

Post by jnichel »

I've got to make it back down there for next Mardi Gras. I'm running out of cups. ;)
"This Basil. This Basil's wife. This smack on head."
-- Basil Fawlty

Tonya

Post by Tonya »

Angie wrote:Come on you Mardi Gras revelers! Wakey Wakey! Your European classmates want to know all about it.....spare no details.....
It has taken me several days to recover. I have come to the conclusion that I am getting too old to function on 3 hours of sleep a night for seveal days in a row. We had a busy whirlwind last couple of days. Glenn had family in from Ohio, Austin, and Florida. His sister started the weekend off with a crawfish boil Friday night. They were really good, but it was freezing outside. Then all of the women went out in the French Quarter. It was great down there. Everyone was having a good time. We talked to lots of people from out of town. It was really nice to see that many tourists and locals enjoying Mardi Gras festivities. We went to Endemion (I think I just mispelled that?) Sat, Metairie on Sunday, took Monday off and went to Metairie on Tuesday. The crowds in Metairie were good Tuesday. Definately more people than last year. Give me a few more days to rest up and I'll be ready for next year!

Tonya

Julie Mathies

Post by Julie Mathies »

I have to second Shane's feelings about riding in a parade....there's just no greater thrill!! Though I grew up in Covington with not much "New Orleans Mardi Gras" in my life, I grew up with Mardi Gras all around me. My mom & dad were both in Krewes (my dad was a charter member of the Krewe of Kaa Cee (now the Mystic Krewe of Covington) and my mom was in the Krewe of Juno for 25+ years). My mom sewed & decorated the costumes for both KC & Juno for several years. I, too, was in Juno for 12 years, and can honestly say, I'd rather be riding than watching. For those of you who attend the Lions Club Parade in Covington, you may remember the "KKK" - Krazy Karnival Krewe. That was us, too!! We were a walking club, and did that for about 10 years. Once my parents died, Mardi Gras wasn't the same for us anymore. Now, I just go to the parades and act like a fool!!

We ventured out on Saturday to the scenic town of Bogalusa, LA for the Krewe of MCCA parade. Believe it or not, it was an awesome parade!! 31 floats, and we caught TONS of stuff. (JOHN--I, too, was out of cups! :lol: ) Very family oriented; great for the kids. I was very surprised.

I, too, had family in all weekend. Like Tonya, we did a crawfish boil on Sunday. On Tuesday we spent the entire day in Metairie for the Argus & Truck parades. I agree with Shane that Mardi Gras is back! I think the crowd was triple where we stand as compared to last year. A great sign of things to come for New Orleans. :D

I'll post some pictures this weekend.

Julie Mathies

Post by Julie Mathies »

Here's just a couple of pics from our Mardi Gras.
Attachments
Zachary & his cousin Michael
Zachary & his cousin Michael
One of the parade floats
One of the parade floats
Me with my nephew, Andy
Me with my nephew, Andy
Zachary
Zachary

JerryFish

Post by JerryFish »

Throw me sumthin' mister!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jerry Cottrell

Will Rogers

shane

Post by shane »

As promised, a sampling of my pictures from Mardi Gras 07 (just now getting around to putting that all to bed; you should see the stuff we're getting rid of...). John, need some cups?
Attachments
My boy, Barrett
My boy, Barrett
My beautiful daughter, Sophia
My beautiful daughter, Sophia
On the float and in costume
On the float and in costume
My wife, Melissa, and our hostess (and baby)
My wife, Melissa, and our hostess (and baby)
The kids and I on the ladder
The kids and I on the ladder
On the float (that's me in the middle)
On the float (that's me in the middle)
night on the parade route
night on the parade route
One more route shot
One more route shot
Shane
--
I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.
- Noel Coward