Mardi Gras 2007

Anything and everything. Come on in and chew the fat.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Angie

Post by Angie »

I have been making my own kingcakes for the last 2 years here. They really aren't too hard to make....and I have a bag of babies to put inside, too!
Angela Eddy Feemster

phil

Post by phil »

recipe, please. :D
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez!

phil

Angie

Post by Angie »

Go to southernliving.com....their recipes for King Cake are very reliable. That is what I use. I did it with cream cheese once, but was not happy with result. Go plain 1st time. You can always drizzle powdered sugar icing on top and then sprinkle your mardi gras colored sugar on top of that. Yum! My sis-in-law got the bag 'o babies for me in NO at a mardi gras store.
Angela Eddy Feemster

Tonya

King cake

Post by Tonya »

Sounds delicious Ang! I might even try to make one. I had my first real King Cake of the season this weekend. I prefer the old McKenzie style to the cinnamon and iced version. Tastee donuts owns the recipe and is making them again this year. They didn't make them last year, so it had been 2 years since I had one. It was sooooooooooooo good!

Tonya

madonnatoneygiacona

Post by madonnatoneygiacona »

FYI - Krewe of Ponchatrain rolls this Saturday! 2/10/2007 This is an awesome Parade....My husband, myself and my daughter are all riding this year. We are on float 12 on the sidewalk side!! Oh My Gosh-we have some awesome throws. Then after the parade, we have an afterparty at Tipitinas (downtown) if any one is interested!! PARTY PARTY PARTY......

Madonna

Julie Mathies

Post by Julie Mathies »

Is anyone going to Eve in Mandeville Friday night??

Madonna, not sure if we'll make it on Saturday. I have a million things to do, but would really like to be parading instead!! I'm sure you will have the best time!! If by chance we can get there, I'll be looking for you!!!

shane

Post by shane »

Julie Mathies wrote:Is anyone going to Eve in Mandeville Friday night??

Madonna, not sure if we'll make it on Saturday. I have a million things to do, but would really like to be parading instead!! I'm sure you will have the best time!! If by chance we can get there, I'll be looking for you!!!
Dennis and I are looking to grab a spot at Eve on Friday. I'll let you know where we'll be!

Madonna, Pontchatrain sounds great! I'm saving up for next weekend; we'll in NOLA from Thursday until Fat Tuesday! Have a great ride!
Shane
--
I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.
- Noel Coward

JerryFish

Post by JerryFish »

Look for me, I'll be out on the corner, but you'll have to have a very strong arm......

This is the closest we'll get to Mardi Gras this year.

The local hunt riding through our yard.....
Attachments
All over
All over
The hounds
The hounds
Hunt, Feb. 3rd 011.jpg
Hunt, Feb. 3rd 007.jpg
Hunt, Feb. 3rd 004.jpg
Hunt Master
Hunt Master
Jerry Cottrell

You can't legislate intelligence and common sense into people.

Will Rogers

Tonya

Eve

Post by Tonya »

We'll be heading out to Eve Friday. I'm not sure yet where we will be. We usually end up around Keller Williams on W. Causeway Approach. It would be fun to hang out with everyone.

Tonya

sheri

Post by sheri »

FYI to all you Northshore people: The whacky Abita Springs Krewe of Push Mow (yep that's the actual name of the parade) is This Saturday at 11:00 am. This years theme is "Ain't Gonna Happen". It rolls right in front of my house so if your in the mood for a funny, quirky, hometown parade come on by. We'll be in the parade, but it's an open house and all are welcome.
Jules - Campbell's Coffee is not mine, but your not the first to ask me that! I was there last week and love to support those local small businesses!
And Jerry, you are oh so welcome for the KingCake! :D

Julie Mathies

Post by Julie Mathies »

Sheri -- thanks for the invite on Saturday; may take you up on it. I've never been to Push Mow before, but heard it's really fun. Zachary is with his dad, so probably will be just Chris and I. I'll let you know for sure prior to.
Jerry -- great pics!! Too bad they couldn't have thrown you a few beads and what-not, just to make it seem like Mardi Gras. And, hopefully they didn't leave the "what not" in your yard. Nothing like good ole' horses in a parade! :shock:

Angie

Post by Angie »

Here is our Mardi Gras....definitely somethin' fallin' from da sky! Not as exciting as your fox hunt, Jerry, but we got ourselves a snow day here in jolly old England - 5 inches worth. Some pics in our village, our house, walking in the country with friends, the 800 yr old village church. Stay tuned for pics of Ang & Robin on the slopes of Garmisch, Germany. We meet up on Feb 11th and return the 18th....we will hold a stein up for all of you!
Attachments
2007_2SnowDay3_resize.JPG
2007_2SnowDay7_resize.JPG
2007_2SnowDay13_resize.JPG
2007_2SnowDay40_resize.JPG
Angela Eddy Feemster

Julie Mathies

Post by Julie Mathies »

Angie, the snow is beautiful!! Something we NEVER get here, as you already know. Can't wait to see pics of you & Robin. Drink a stein for me....the 11th is my birthday!! :D

JerryFish

Post by JerryFish »

Poor Colin is sitting here getting ready for school as the whole country gets a couple of snow days, while here in the southwest it's just wet and cold. :cry:

Sarah is thinking about driving him north just so he can play in some.

Happy 35th Birthday on Sunday Jules, it's Sarah's also on the 11th.
Jerry Cottrell

Will Rogers

JerryFish

Post by JerryFish »

Angie wrote:Go to southernliving.com....their recipes for King Cake are very reliable. That is what I use. I did it with cream cheese once, but was not happy with result. Go plain 1st time. You can always drizzle powdered sugar icing on top and then sprinkle your mardi gras colored sugar on top of that. Yum! My sis-in-law got the bag 'o babies for me in NO at a mardi gras store.

Yea, but do they do Spotted Dick???? 8)
Jerry Cottrell

Will Rogers