Memory Lane

Anything and everything. Come on in and chew the fat.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

mark

Post by mark »

Angie wrote:Tonya - why do you think I became a track manager.....I wasn't in it for the fresh air.....
I'm glad someone watched us track guys. We didn't exactly fill stadiums. Maybe if we had the band and cheerleaders to help us out. I didn't see a full stadium until regionals. So all those who watched....many thanks!
Mark J Leach

shane

Post by shane »

Think back...
Least favorite memory of CHS?

Best friends at CHS? Jerry, Sean, John, Sheri, Dennis, Laurice, Gina, Andrea, Robin, Pat Hunt, Mike LaRocca, Jacky, Kelly Elliott, Keith Cazeaux

Did you ever ride in 'the hearse'? No

Do you still eat a Wendy's chicken sandwich with chili sauce? Never did, chicken sandwich with cheese, ketchup and bacon, please. And, no, I don't eat that anymore

If you could, would you be 16 again? why/why not? Why not? But only if I had more confidence in myself than I did then

What car did you drive in highschool? White 86 Mustang GT and green 79 Mercury Cougar ("The Land-barge")

Did you ever go to a st. pauls' football game? Mandeville High? (while in highschool) Never Mandeville. Once St Paul's. First time I ever heard a holy man cuss "these kids! They're f...ing with the wrong brother now!"

Girls, how many times did you 'cruise the st. paul's campus' afterschool?

Guys, where did the SSA girls hang out? Not a clue, although we did cross paths from time to time

What was your favorite sport to watch at CHS? Football

Who made the best sno balls in town? No idea

What was your 'drink of choice' on the weekends? Mostly beer, although weekends in the Quarter included hurricanes, Long Island Iced Teas and Dragon's Blood. There was also that unfortunate period of time when my poison was Southern Comfort and Dr Pepper

Did you ever lose your keys in the lake? No
- Noel Coward

Angie

Post by Angie »

Who remembers huckabucks at Cov. Elem School?
Angela Eddy Feemster

shane

Post by shane »

Yes! What was that? Kool-aid or juice? I loved those things.

Went back a few weeks ago to substitute at CES. I was distracted the entire time with memories flooding back from my CES days. Mr. Ferrer traipsing through the halls and playground. Kickball. The "boys" area and the "girls" area (it's all one now and not nearly as shady as it used to be). Trees where we used to play marbles. Dodgeball in the gym on rainy days. Darius making faces at me at the water fountain. Jennifer Hunter chasing me around campus and the boys room being my only sanctuary. Got lost in it a couple of times and forgot was I was supposed to be doing there.
Shane
--
I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.
- Noel Coward

Angie

Post by Angie »

I think it was kool-aid. I am going to make some for my kids one day soon....for those of you who don't know what it is. It is just kool-aid poured into a dixie cup about 3/4 full, then frozen, then the kids pop it out and turn it upside down and eat it. When they pop it out it stands out of the cup.
Angela Eddy Feemster

Julie Mathies

Post by Julie Mathies »

Oh my gosh -- huck-a-bucks!! Mr. Frerer's specialty....I think you're right, Angie, I believe it was frozen kool-aid!!

It's so funny you mentioned that!! Zachary had field day the week before Easter, and I was just telling him how much fun Field Day was when I was in elementary school -- the sack races, three-legged races, and the huck-a-bucks!! :D

Hey, for those of us that made the honor roll, remember the swimming parties at Mr. Frerer's house? I remember Joelle swimming into the ladder & cutting her nose. Mr. Frerer was one of a kind. He still lives in the same house -- Leslie & I talked to him for a while at the game during the reunion.

Boy, those were the good ole' days -- and what's really amazing is that we still remember it!!

Angie

Post by Angie »

Julie - I have a vague recollection of Mr. Frerer and swimming....I know I made the honor roll...where does he live? I remember Joelle getting hurt, too.
Angela Eddy Feemster

Julie Mathies

Post by Julie Mathies »

He lives on Military Road (Hwy 21) right before you get to Magnolia Gardens (where Leslie Jourdan used to live).
Speaking of Leslie Jourdan, anybody know what became of him?? Last time I saw him was 9th Grade maybe -- I remember a swimming party at his house. They had a fresh-water pool, and I remember Stan Dykes being there.

mark

Trigged a memory

Post by mark »

Julie Mathies wrote:He lives on Military Road (Hwy 21) right before you get to Magnolia Gardens (where Leslie Jourdan used to live).
Speaking of Leslie Jourdan, anybody know what became of him?? Last time I saw him was 9th Grade maybe -- I remember a swimming party at his house. They had a fresh-water pool, and I remember Stan Dykes being there.
Julie, I used to live across from the Frerer's when I was a little guy. We moved to Bush in 1976 but prior to that we lived on Military Rd next to the Bernards (Lori Bernard, was our age I think). I remember Mark and Doug and there was a girl our age that wore glasses and went to St. Peters. We lived in a raised off-yellow house. I know that David Williams and Michael Brown attended my 2nd grade birthday out there. They were my best buds in 2nd grade. Mark Frerer was there and played with us little guys. I haven't thought of these days in a very long time. Did you used to live down towards Ole' Landing in the early 70's before moving out behind military road?
Mark J Leach

Julie Mathies

Post by Julie Mathies »

Mark, I remember the Bernards! Lori went to SSA, and she had a younger brother --Trey??. I wonder what ever happened to them? I rode the bus with them! I didn't realize you lived out that way. No, I never lived in Old Landing -- Chandler Drive was my forever home. Been trying to rack my brain to think when we may have crossed paths in Old Landing. Only thing I can think of is that Katie Ernst used to live on Jahncke down that way, and Leslie lived on 5th Avenue. Seems I remember walking home from school with them at times.

mark

Bernards

Post by mark »

I occasionally would play over at Lori's house when I was a little guy. We moved to Bush from 76-82 and I lost touch with my St Peters and Covington Elementary friends. Last time I saw her was in '83 in CCD class for confirmation. I doubt she remembered me.

I have a vague memory of meeting a little girl back behind 8th street on the way to old landing that looks like your picture. My granie lived on South Jefferson and I couldn't have been more than 6 or 7 years old. There was this little corner store somewhere between 8th and 5th street. I occasionally would walk over there for some candy. It's weird what sticks in the noggin. I do remember when the Leonard's lived on 5th after moving back from Bush. Have a number a vivid memories from Jr High.
Mark J Leach

Tonya

Post by Tonya »

I remember that little store. Melinda Fontan and I use to walk over there from her house on 8th when I stayed over there. I was just telling my kids about it the other day when I went to drop off one of there friends in old landing. I couldn't remember what street it was on either though.

Tonya

Julie Mathies

Post by Julie Mathies »

Seems I have a vague memory of that store as well and can't remember either where it was!

Mark, maybe we met at your Grannie's! Cathy and I used to go there with Joelle & Katie when we were younger. She still lives there doesn't she?

mark

Grannie's

Post by mark »

That's probably it. I remember going to Joelle's birthday party there around that time and I lived there between moves for 4 or 5 months. I used to go down the street and play with Pete Peters.

Sad to say that my little Grannie passed on this past year. She was in a nursing home as she was in pretty bad shape for the last couple of years. My last grandparent to go. She had a nice 90th birthday with most of the family which was probably near the last of her coherent moments. Good long life just sad the last couple of years.
Mark J Leach

Julie Mathies

Post by Julie Mathies »

Mark, So sorry to hear about your Grandmother. She was so sweet, and I have such fond memories of being at her house when I was younger. I haven't talked to Joelle in quite a while, so I hadn't heard. Did the family keep her home? I pass there every so often.