Ideas for a cruise reunion

Anything and everything. Come on in and chew the fat.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Brenda Robinson Jenkins

Post by Brenda Robinson Jenkins »

Julie Mathies wrote:Also, keep in mind Hurricane season (Aug & Sept).
Tonya
Tonya - that had me worried too for those months too. I guess summer would be best but perhaps early summer, like June? But I can go with the flow, I would rather do it at a time when the largest amount of our classmates who want to attend can make it.

I haven't even had a chance to mention cruise to James yet. Neither of us have ever been on one. If we are able to make arrangements to go, I am fairly sure we will have our kids. I don't really have anyone to keep them for that long.

Christy (McLain) and Scott Biggers went on oen the first week of Juen 2006. It was one of the ones that had the "kids club" for lack of better word. She said that worked out REALLY well for the kids - check with her, she can give more details.

A different friend of mine, not from CHS, went on one with her husband and it was one (perhaps promotional??) where you could spend a certain amount of extra money, in her case I think it was $200.00 a person on a 5 day cruise, for all the alcohol you could drink except maybe bottles of wine or something like that. That would be something we might want to look into as well - I for one don't want to see what my bar bill will be :shock: !
Brenda

ccoopermetz

cruisin

Post by ccoopermetz »

If we did a cruise I would definitly want to take my kids...depending on the cost and all. Like Brenda, finding someone to watch them for more than one night is very difficult for me. And my kids want to go on a cruise. June works for us...why 08 or 09? I thought we were shooting for a 25th reunion?? Wouldn't that be 2011??

Brenda Robinson Jenkins

Re: cruisin

Post by Brenda Robinson Jenkins »

ccoopermetz wrote:June works for us...why 08 or 09? I thought we were shooting for a 25th reunion?? Wouldn't that be 2011??
I believe Shane mentioned in another thread where the cruise was first mentioned, (can't remember which one) that he thought the cruise would be cost prohibitive for some people, just like the reunion party. So he didn't think doing it for the 25 year reunion was a good idea. I agree with him there. So he proposed or maybe someone else did, doing the cruise on an "off" reunion year, like for the 22nd or 23rd year which is why they are looking at 2008 or 2009. Hope this helps! :)
Brenda

ccoopermetz

Post by ccoopermetz »

yes brenda that explains it. i did miss that post!
reality, i won't be doing a cruise with or without the kids. i enjoy the reunions immensely but big vacays are just not in my budget. i'm lucky to get the kids to the beach each summer.
but i can't wait to see the pictures!! :0

Julie Mathies

Post by Julie Mathies »

Since the Twilight Zone thing happened on my earlier post, I'll mention again...COUNT ME IN!! I've never been on a cruise before, and missed out on the senior trip. So, I will not miss this one!! '08 or '09 is good for me.....just let me know the date!!!

Cathy, I'm ready to swim with the dolphins, and hold a drink in my hand with a cute umbrella!!

Tonya

Post by Tonya »

Julie,

I'm ready for a cruise anytime! I should be able to start checking prices in Jan. or Feb for 08.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Tonya

Tiffany

Post by Tiffany »

Can't wait to see what you can come up with! :)

bazers

Never One To Pass Up a Cruise

Post by bazers »

We have been on quite a number of cruises and this would be of great interest to me.

Almost all ships have good "Kids Clubs" where you can drop off the kids for a few hours each day/night and they play supervised games, do crafts etc. So there would be some kid-free time in case you wanted to have some drinks with the classmates, for example.

Cruises can be a relatively cheap way to vacation. I use cruisecompete.com to get the best prices on cruises.

Summer time is usually the busiest time of year for family cruises and the prices are a bit higher, but not too much so. The Mardi Gras idea is pretty good for those who want to bring kids who will be out of school. We homeschool so our schedule is usually flexible.

If you give people enough of a notice, they can save up for the trip. A five day cruise out of New Orleans will likely be about $400-$500 per person.

Keep us posted. Sounds like fun. I remember on the class trip I stayed awake the entire cruise because I was worried that some of the classmates might get in trouble, fall overboard or something like that. I slept 20 hours straight when I got home.

Shane Bazer

Julie Mathies

Post by Julie Mathies »

Hi everyone -- thought I'd revive this topic since we are now 1/2 through 2007. Are we still talking about a 2008 cruise, or did we say 2009? If we're thinking of 2008, maybe we should start discussions again.

Any thoughts?

jnichel
Site Admin

Post by jnichel »

If we're going somewhere needing a passport, '09 would probably be better for us. I'd like to say that INS would have everything straightened out soon, but this is the government we're talking about. No passport? We'll start packing tonight. :lol:

Wanna take this boat?
Attachments
USS Ortolan (ASR-22), a rack back in the starboard hull is what I called home for 2 years.
USS Ortolan (ASR-22), a rack back in the starboard hull is what I called home for 2 years.
"This Basil. This Basil's wife. This smack on head."
-- Basil Fawlty

shane

Post by shane »

jnichel wrote:If we're going somewhere needing a passport, '09 would probably be better for us. I'd like to say that INS would have everything straightened out soon, but this is the government we're talking about. No passport? We'll start packing tonight. :lol:

Wanna take this boat?
Sweet sun deck! But what's that chopper doing up there? And where's the pool?

Where's our travel agent? Tonya?
Shane
--
I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.
- Noel Coward

phimel

Post by phimel »

2008 in the Winter/Fall for us. We're expecting in January!
Patrick Himel

shane

Post by shane »

phimel wrote:2008 in the Winter/Fall for us. We're expecting in January!
Wait a minute... you're starting ALL OVER AGAIN??? Are you nuts????

Seriously, CONGRATULATIONS!!
Shane
--
I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.
- Noel Coward

jnichel
Site Admin

Post by jnichel »

phimel wrote:2008 in the Winter/Fall for us. We're expecting in January!
Congrats!
"This Basil. This Basil's wife. This smack on head."
-- Basil Fawlty

Julie Mathies

Post by Julie Mathies »

Congrats Pat!! All the best to you!!