Ideas for a cruise reunion

Anything and everything. Come on in and chew the fat.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Tonya

Ideas for a cruise reunion

Post by Tonya »

So, since there seems to be some interest in a cruise, let's give this topic its own forum. Let me know if you are more interested in 08 or 09 and what 2 months of the year work best for your family. Will you bring the kids or use it as a romantic getaway? I think I can hold rooms about 18 months out so we have some time to do some planning. Are more people interested in a 7 day, 5 day or 4 day cruise?

Tonya

jnichel
Site Admin

Post by jnichel »

Either '08 or '09 is good for us. Mid - late July thu August would be easiest for us (kids out of school, Jesse (my stepson) will be visiting, normal time for our trip to Louisiana and slow at work). While we'd love to do 7 days, that would cut into 'family' time, so 4 or 5 days would probably be best. While I know the kids would love it, that would kind of handcuff the parents (and Denise and I have no problem getting away from the monsters...errr...lovely children for a few days :twisted: )
"This Basil. This Basil's wife. This smack on head."
-- Basil Fawlty

Tiffany

Post by Tiffany »

I think '08 mid to late summer sounds good. I would definitely take Amber with me. It would be such a blast! I agree with John though, 4 or 5 days would probably be better (and a little less expensive).

Julie Mathies

Post by Julie Mathies »

Also, keep in mind Hurricane season (Aug & Sept).

Hurricane season does come into play a little, but the ships do a pretty good job of diverting to other places if time allows. With a shorter cruise you have a larger chance to miss a port, but they usually find smooth weather so the pools and stuff are open. You would have to make some of your own fun, which shouldn't be very hard for any of us. Carnival was very good during Katrina about refunding money for cruises that could not sail out of the original port they were booked from. They also gave incentives if you remained booked and drove to the port the ship was sailing from.

When we went after Katrina, we actually got 2 extra days and an extra port because they had closed Galveston so we had to stay out longer. We went to Costa Maya, which is a port that ship didn't normally go to and it was wonderful. I think it ended up being our favorite port.

Tonya

JerryFish

Post by JerryFish »

Julie Mathies wrote:Also, keep in mind Hurricane season (Aug & Sept).

Hurricane season does come into play a little, but the ships do a pretty good job of diverting to other places if time allows. With a shorter cruise you have a larger chance to miss a port, but they usually find smooth weather so the pools and stuff are open. You would have to make some of your own fun, which shouldn't be very hard for any of us. Carnival was very good during Katrina about refunding money for cruises that could not sail out of the original port they were booked from. They also gave incentives if you remained booked and drove to the port the ship was sailing from.

When we went after Katrina, we actually got 2 extra days and an extra port because they had closed Galveston so we had to stay out longer. We went to Costa Maya, which is a port that ship didn't normally go to and it was wonderful. I think it ended up being our favorite port.

Tonya
Is this Tonya or Julie?
Jerry Cottrell

You can't legislate intelligence and common sense into people.

Will Rogers

jnichel
Site Admin

Post by jnichel »

JerryFish wrote:
Julie Mathies wrote:Also, keep in mind Hurricane season (Aug & Sept).

Tonya
Is this Tonya or Julie?
You're traveling through another dimension; a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's a signpost up ahead: your next stop: the Twilight Zone!
-- Basil Fawlty

Tonya

Post by Tonya »

It was Tonya, but I don't know how it came up Julie.

Very weird!!!

Tonya

jnichel
Site Admin

Post by jnichel »

Tonya wrote:It was Tonya, but I don't know how it came up Julie.

Very weird!!!

Tonya
Looks like you clicked the 'Edit' button instead of the 'Quote' button. Hazards of being a mod. :lol:
-- Basil Fawlty

Angie

Post by Angie »

John - you crack me up....
Angela Eddy Feemster

shane

Post by shane »

Summer, definitely, and I'm there. I haven't been on a cruise in years!
Attachments
Senior Cruise, Thanksgiving 1985
Senior Cruise, Thanksgiving 1985
Shane
--
I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.
- Noel Coward

Tonya

Post by Tonya »

I guess that is the hazard of actually trying to work and gab at the same time. I really need to work on the multi tasking thing.

Tonya

tlsmith

Post by tlsmith »

I think '08, late summer is perfect. As Brenda said in another thread, I have trouble planning for the weekend. So keep us posted and we're in! Nicole

lapochevide

Post by lapochevide »

Mardi Gras is a good time to go on a cruise unless you're absolutely dying to acquire more plastic beads. Also, November (Thanksgiving) works well. Both miss hurricane season. The last Carnival cruise we went on had tons of planned activities for all ages-toddler on up. (P.S. They also have great daily rum drinks with cute umbrellas!!! :wink: ) If I don't take the kids, do I have to feel guilty or can I bring them a souvenier? Also, I vote for 4 or 5 days. 7 is too long at sea for me.

Who's ready to swim with the dolphins :lol: ?

shane

Post by shane »

lapochevide wrote:Mardi Gras is a good time to go on a cruise unless you're absolutely dying to acquire more plastic beads. Also, November (Thanksgiving) works well. Both miss hurricane season. The last Carnival cruise we went on had tons of planned activities for all ages-toddler on up. (P.S. They also have great daily rum drinks with cute umbrellas!!! :wink: ) If I don't take the kids, do I have to feel guilty or can I bring them a souvenier? Also, I vote for 4 or 5 days. 7 is too long at sea for me.

Who's ready to swim with the dolphins :lol: ?
Oh yeah, I remember those rum drinks. One was put in my hand when I got on the boat and another was rarely missing from that hand the rest of the voyage.
Shane
--
I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.
- Noel Coward

Shondiharpmulkey

Post by Shondiharpmulkey »

We are definately interested in a cruise also. We have been trying to get back on one for a while. We have been on a cruise with Darbi when she was about 6 and she did very well. She actually enjoyed it more than Disney. Like everyone else, either 08 or 09 is good-probably in 08 we will have more response as it is closer. Any of the summer months or school holidays work well for us.