Site Members

Anything and everything. Come on in and chew the fat.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Angie

Site Members

Post by Angie »

Why is my name green at the bottom where the site tells you who is on the site presently? Julie's was green too....others are blue......just wondering....
Angela Eddy Feemster

Julie Mathies

Post by Julie Mathies »

Angie, John made you one of the "priests" - means you are now a moderator on the site. He can probably give a better exlanation of what that means. You'll notice that JOHN's name shows in orange because he's listed as an administrator. Regular site members will show in blue.

jnichel
Site Admin

Post by jnichel »

With great power comes great responsibility. :twisted:
"This Basil. This Basil's wife. This smack on head."
-- Basil Fawlty

Angie

Post by Angie »

Oh my! I am a priestess? I was a hostess once, but never a priestess.....
Angela Eddy Feemster

Brenda Robinson Jenkins

Post by Brenda Robinson Jenkins »

jnichel wrote:With great power comes great responsibility. :twisted:
Did Uncle Ben (Was it Ben?) tell you that too? I thought you were the high priest, not spiderman! I can tell who has kids - how many times have you watched that movie? I don't know how many times I have seen it but enough to remember that line as soon as I saw it! :D
Brenda

jnichel
Site Admin

Post by jnichel »

Brenda Robinson Jenkins wrote:
Did Uncle Ben (Was it Ben?) tell you that too? I thought you were the high priest, not spiderman! I can tell who has kids - how many times have you watched that movie? I don't know how many times I have seen it but enough to remember that line as soon as I saw it! :D
Movie? Bah, I refuse to watch the movies (and the X-Men movies as well). Gwen Stacey was supposed to be up on that bridge, not Mary Jane, and Gwen was supposed to die!!! :? :x :lol: Part of being a geek is that I read (well used to...up until about 1995) the actual comic books. :oops:
-- Basil Fawlty

shane

Post by shane »

jnichel wrote:
Movie? Bah, I refuse to watch the movies (and the X-Men movies as well). Gwen Stacey was supposed to be up on that bridge, not Mary Jane, and Gwen was supposed to die!!! :? :x :lol: Part of being a geek is that I read (well used to...up until about 1995) the actual comic books. :oops:
I'm impressed with what they do with the effects in the movies, but the stories and characters are really terrible bastardizations of the comics.

I still read a few titles regularly until about 97, myself, when I got too wrapped up in grad school to justify it anymore. I'll still pick one up every once in a while, if the mood strikes me. One of the many things my wife rolls her eyes at me about. Once a geek, always a geek.
Shane
--
I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.
- Noel Coward

phimel

Post by phimel »

Angie wrote:Oh my! I am a priestess? I was a hostess once, but never a priestess.....
It's sorta like being a larger, grander more mature cupcake....

(I know I'm really cheesy bad, but I need therapy and can't help myself) If you don't get it, just lol anyway.
Patrick Himel

Angie

Post by Angie »

LOL, Pat... :lol:
Angela Eddy Feemster

Greg Ward

Post by Greg Ward »

I finally find time to post something, and you guys go getting all geeky on me! And on top of that you promote Angie from hostess (or was that cupcake?) to priestess!

BTW Angie, took two washings but I finally got the wine out! :lol:

Angie

Post by Angie »

That was not me, Greg...that was Robin....I was just the object she shoved which bumped your red wine glass onto your shirt.....I am just an unwilling accomplice..... :oops:
Angela Eddy Feemster

Brenda Robinson Jenkins

shane wrote:
jnichel wrote:

I'm impressed with what they do with the effects in the movies, but the stories and characters are really terrible bastardizations of the comics.

I still read a few titles regularly until about 97, myself, when I got too wrapped up in grad school to justify it anymore. I'll still pick one up every once in a while, if the mood strikes me. One of the many things my wife rolls her eyes at me about. Once a geek, always a geek.
Well, John and Shane, I guess I am a geek to - used to love to read comic books when I was a kid. When we lived in Metairie, my dad used to take us to this record shop on Veterans highway and let us pick out a comic book and a 45 record (now I am showing my age!). I skipped from character to character so I never became and expert on any of them. Guess I stopped reading them when we moved over to Abita the summer before 6th grade. Then I just buried myself in books - I would check out like 10 or more a week from the Abita library during the summer. Not near as much during the school year. Still love to read, just don't have time to do it anymore :shock: Maybe in about 15 years I will get back into it!

BTW my dad used to have the original Superman comic book, among others - he collected tons as a kid. When he married my mom, he left his comic books at his mom's house. She kept bitching at him to come get them and he never quite got around to it - His mom lived off Franklin Ave. in the 9th Ward of New Orleans. Lost ALL of his comic books when she flooded during Hurricane Betsy and his baseball cards to, among which was the original Babr Ruth card. :cry: Wonder how much money he lost???

He started collecting them again as an adult. It helped keep his mind off a lot of his health problems. You should see his collection - he has boxes and boxes. He has been trying to get my kids into them.
Brenda

jnichel
Site Admin

Post by jnichel »

Brenda Robinson Jenkins wrote: Well, John and Shane, I guess I am a geek to - used to love to read comic books when I was a kid. When we lived in Metairie, my dad used to take us to this record shop on Veterans highway and let us pick out a comic book and a 45 record (now I am showing my age!). I skipped from character to character so I never became and expert on any of them. Guess I stopped reading them when we moved over to Abita the summer before 6th grade. Then I just buried myself in books - I would check out like 10 or more a week from the Abita library during the summer. Not near as much during the school year. Still love to read, just don't have time to do it anymore :shock: Maybe in about 15 years I will get back into it!
I've been going through old posts over the past few days, and I must have missed this the first time around. Where did you live in Metairie, Brenda? I grew up on Beverly Gardens Drive, between I-10 and Metairie Road.
-- Basil Fawlty

Brenda Robinson Jenkins

I lived at 1401 Green Acres Road. It ran perpendicular between Veterans and West Metairie. We were about 2-3 blocks from West Metairie. About 4-5 blocks off Transcontinental. I attended St. Edward the Confessor Catholic School when I lived there. My parents had to drag me kicking and screaming to Abita Springs which at the time, I thought was about as country as it could be. Then they dumped me in Abita Springs Junior High with people like Sheri and John Sable, Sheila Hueschen and eventually Eric Goodman, Chris Normand, and Al Lehman! :shock: (Ha! - Love you guys!) :D

Weird how I sitll remember the exact address but can't remember where I placed something yesterday. When I lived there, that OLD (and corny) TV show, "Green Acres" with Ava or Zsa-Zsa Gabor was on the big console television. (now I am really showing my age!)
Brenda

Tonya

Post by Tonya »

Brenda,

My husband grew up not far from Green Acres. He lived on Arlene behind Kirschmans. His dad still lives there. I didn't know you were a transplant from Metairie.

Tonya