shots

Anything and everything. Come on in and chew the fat.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

dennis

shots

Post by dennis »

Well I am getting prepared for a night of no sleep Braelyn just got her second set of shots today. the first ones were hard enough for me . Holly went today. It is 8:00 and she has a fever nothing bad but she is in a really bad mood. This little redhead can throw a fit.
Attachments
I took a picture late one night , she was just hanging out when I woke up she was like this
I took a picture late one night , she was just hanging out when I woke up she was like this

jnichel
Site Admin

Post by jnichel »

Doesn't it just break your heart? I've had to hold both my boys down for their shots, and it took everything I had not to grab the doctor by the throat when I saw their little eyes well up with tears. You know it's for their own good; for their heath, but that doesn't make it any easier. :cry:
"This Basil. This Basil's wife. This smack on head."
-- Basil Fawlty

Brenda Robinson Jenkins

Post by Brenda Robinson Jenkins »

I cried the first time my oldest got shots. I am sure that lovely post partum depression didn't help any :evil:

It was still so hard to watch them all get shots even though you know it is for their own good. You just can't explain that do them and they look at you with those tears in their eyes. And goodness, Devin had a set of lungs on him!

Luckily, I don't recall the shots ever really causing them to have trouble sleeping - at least no more trouble than they might have already been having at that particular time.

Hope your night isn't that bad Dennis.
Brenda

JerryFish

Post by JerryFish »

As most of you know, Colin broke his femur earlier this summer. A LARGE wooden gate fell on him almost crushing him. Luckily the leg was the worst of it.

But, as we laid there, waiting for the ambulance to arrive, all he could scream was that he wanted to die and go see God......I have to say it isn't the worst thing a parent could go through (it can always be worse), but it is up there. Sarah and I were so helpless.

In the hospital he actually told the doctor that if he didn't put his leg down he would hit him....

He spent six weeks in traction at the hospital, tied to the bed.
Jerry Cottrell

You can't legislate intelligence and common sense into people.

Will Rogers

Brenda Robinson Jenkins

Gosh Jerry had no idea how serious his accident and broken femur was - How awful. That had to be a horrible thing to watch as a parent and the worst part, being so helpless. :( You never want them to feel pain, you wish you could take their pain for them, physical or emotional. Obviously both are part of growing up (but don't need to break a femur) but I think it hurts me more when someone does something to my kid then when they do it to me.

I am so happy for you that he pulled through it okay. - I think??
Brenda

JerryFish

Post by JerryFish »

Yea, he did......Hopefully you'll see on friday night.....He still can't play "contact" sports (soccer????) or climb or climbing frames (Jungle Gyms) for six months. Okay, he is only six, but that's about 10 percent of his life right now.

Sarah or I spent every night at the hospital with him for 6 weeks. He couldn't move.

Luckily, Sarah is a Goddess and kept the family sane through out it all.....
Jerry Cottrell

Will Rogers

Brenda Robinson Jenkins

Can't imagine any of mine being side lined for that long - they never stop so I am sure they would be driving us crazy. It has to be hard for him not to be able to do all of the things he wants to do and is used to doing.

Devin had a hairline fracture of his left wrist - just a basic fall at daycare but landed wrong. 6 weeks in a cast and he was fine. Being the arm and not very severe, it didn't keep him from doing much. Bathing was a pain in the ass. Luckily it happened before summer so swimming wasn't an issue.

Sarah sounds like a dream. Don't know if I could have kept everyone sane. I probably would have been the first one going insane!!
Brenda

JerryFish

Post by JerryFish »

It's hard to go insane, when your already there.... :D

Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind that I miss the most......
Jerry Cottrell

Will Rogers

phimel

Post by phimel »

As a parent, I can't imagine what you went through. I know that I would do anything to spare my daughter from anything. It's got to be the most helpless feeling....
Patrick Himel

jnichel
Site Admin

Post by jnichel »

JerryFish wrote:Sarah or I spent every night at the hospital with him for 6 weeks. He couldn't move.

Luckily, Sarah is a Goddess and kept the family sane through out it all.....
I know that feeling. Luckily, Connor is as healthy as a horse, but Devlin had a rough entry into this world (I'll post that story later today). When he was just two months old, he contracted RSV; a respitory virus which makes the rounds every winter here in Buffalo. For most, it's just a bad chest cold, but for the elderly and infants, it can be deadly. Devlin was hospitalized at Children's for a week (four of those days in the NICU). By the time he was all better, and we were ready to go home, his doctor was trying to give me a shot of B-12....I didn't leave the hospital the whole time; couldn't sleep, couldn't eat. I think I was more of a wreck than he was by the end of it all, and Denise ended up spending the week convincing Connor that Devlin's getting sick wasn't his fault (Connor brought the RSV home from school). Pales in comparrison to what other parents have to go through, but I still don't ever want to feel like that again.
-- Basil Fawlty

dennis

no problem

Post by dennis »

Well she made a liar out of me. She slept through the night. She woke up one time grunted a little and went back to sleep. She still has a little fever but nothing bad. I guess I just blew it up a little..... I am sure it is going to happen many more times.

Tonia Delhommer Taylor

Post by Tonia Delhommer Taylor »

When you have children your whole world changes and they mean everything to you.

Sam and I have been taking our littlest one, Tabitha, to her regular pediatrition for several years now and he has been treating her for low iron (Anemia). Recently he referred us to a hemotologist and it was very hard going to see him. When we arrived there we say children that had been diagnosed with Lukemia and had been going through Chemo treatments. I cried as I was sitting there waiting to see the doctor and Sam kept trying to reassure me that Tabitha was going to be ok. But until you know what's going on your mind starts thinking the worst. Luckily after speaking with the doctor he said he felt that there was no need for concern.

She actually has a follow-up visit with him on Friday of this week.

Tabitha is a real trooper she sticks her arm out with no complaints or crying and they draw her blood from her arm.

Believe me when I say I understand how each of you feel.

This was the hardest thing I have ever gone through in my LIFE!!

Tonia

jnichel
Site Admin

Post by jnichel »

Tonia Delhommer Taylor wrote:But until you know what's going on your mind starts thinking the worst.
Yeah, I went through that with Devlin a couple of months ago. The doctor wanted to get him in to have a CT scan just to check if he had hydrocephalus. Her reasoning was that his head was large (95th percentile), but told us not to worry, as it was probably nothing being that the rest of him was large (95% in length and weight as well). Yeah, don't worry. I was a nervous wreck for two weeks until we got the results in.
-- Basil Fawlty

melindam

Post by melindam »

I totally agree! We just went through something like that with James. He went to the doctor for a sleep problem and came out thinking he had cancer and was sent to an oncologist. Everything turned out fine but we didn't know it was fine for a month. Longest month ever!

Brenda Robinson Jenkins

JerryFish wrote:It's hard to go insane, when your already there.... :D

Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind that I miss the most......
Jerry you got me right there!
Brenda