Spanish Club Field Trip

What did you look like 20 years ago? What do you look like now?

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Robin

Post by Robin »

OK, now I'm not remembering that one - though I don't doubt it. See what a help it was for your college career! Where on Earth did we go, anyway???

Angie

Post by Angie »

We went nowhere....we cruised Covington and screamed "woohoo!!" with the top down. I am sure we were up to no good.
Angela Eddy Feemster

Robin

Post by Robin »

Oh, to be young again :!: :?:

mark

Food

Post by mark »

Angie wrote:We went nowhere....we cruised Covington and screamed "woohoo!!" with the top down. I am sure we were up to no good.

Angie, how is the seafood in England? Your "ditching" reminds me of the one time I ditched at CHS. We were at Southeastern for a Spanish festival of some sort. Ms Rose drove all of us Spanish class folks to the "event". It ended midday and someone had their convertible mustang and Grant Howard, Karen Ward, and someone else decided to ride back in the stang instead of the clunky bus.

Pretty harmless, right? Well poor Ms. Rose almost had a stroke when some us didn't answer role call on the bus...She'd lost some students :shock:. Grant and I felt bad when we heard and I remember eating crow next time we saw her. At Tulane, I skipped quite a few classes. They didn't care there as long as you showed up for the test. I still have dreams that right before a major exam, I remember signing up for a class but forgot to attend the classes and had no idea what the test would be on...maybe that's why.
Mark J Leach

Connie

Post by Connie »

Robin:
You'll probably laugh, but we go every week when we can to Taqueria Arandas (I know they're all over the city

I didn't laugh but my husband said..."Ooohhhh, brave people!" There is a place just north of Hobby airport, Don Carlos, that is as authentic as it gets. We go there sometimes on a weekend and I am the only blonde in the building!
Connie (Doolin) Castillo

Robin

Post by Robin »

I know the feeling. My conversational Spanish has improved. :)

Connie

Post by Connie »

Our 'hood has really changed in ten years. The dollar theater has turned into Cinema Latina and the HEB is being changed into a Mi Tienda. Even the billboards are in Spanish! Mark's sister just moved to Friendswood. We talk about moving from time to time but this is the longest I have ever lived in one place and it is going to be hard to get me to move! Besides, we have this fabulous old live oak that covers most of the back yard. You just don't get that in new subdivisions. So what if I get woken up early on Sat. mornings by the whistle of the nearby soccer game?
Connie (Doolin) Castillo

Angie

Post by Angie »

Mark, you asked about the seafood in England, but I have to say I have not tried it. The fishmonger sets up his truck full of "fresh" fish in the village down the road and I have seen him in another village as well. I have walked passed his truck several times and it smells so bad it makes me gag....and then there is the issue of flies....the fish in the grocery store is just sitting there....open....any kid can go up and touch it....flies are horrible here (because they do not have screens on windows and since there is no A/C here you must open your windows....flies are on everything....We are in the middle of the southern part of England....far from coast. I just don't like to eat fish unless I know it has been caught that day. We ate alot of fish when we lived in FL. Dan refuses to eat fish period. We eat alot of shrimp though...frozen....from Tampa...in our commissary. Their shrimp (they call prawns) are not like Gulf shrimp....they are like salad shrimp and my English friend says that she bought a lb of the larger prawns and it cost her ?14 (about $26)...so, I bought her a bag of Gulf shrimp for about $7. Believe me, I plan on gaining 10 lbs when I go home....shrimp poboys, Wendy's, Semolina's.....we leave in 3 days ya'll!!!!!!!!!!!!
Angela Eddy Feemster

JerryFish

Post by JerryFish »

I would think that is a location problem, as we're ten minutes from a fishing village and we get some awesome fish. I doesn't hurt that our restaurant was across from a fish monger, and he gave us some really good deals. I would think you're also dealing with a dodgy fish monger. We get fresh tuna here that we'll prepare as sushi.

That being said, I do miss Gulf Coast seafood. Especially shrimp. Raw shrimp are hard to come by, unless it's frozen. As Angie said, they can be very expensive. The scallops here are good, and the mussels, I don't touch the oysters though. I'm actually finding crawfish tails in the stores now. :D :D :D

We live next to a farm, so I can't unbiasly comment on the flies, we had to go and get a fly zapper for in the house. It wasn't too bad in Swanage though. The good thing is we don't have mosquitoes....Not biting ones at least.
Jerry Cottrell

You can't legislate intelligence and common sense into people.

Will Rogers

JerryFish

Post by JerryFish »

Definately planning on eating at Rags, Too when we get home......
Jerry Cottrell

You can't legislate intelligence and common sense into people.

Will Rogers

Angie

Post by Angie »

Jerry - nothing worse than a dodgy fish monger.....
Angela Eddy Feemster