CHS Soccer

What did you look like 20 years ago? What do you look like now?

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Maarten

CHS Soccer

Post by Maarten »

I only have a few soccer photos of very bad quality. This is the only one who is a bit decent. Think the guy on my right we called 'Rambo' because he always wore camouflage but his real name was John something.
Attachments
Soccer.jpg
Maarten

mark

SOCCER

Post by mark »

Marteen,

Were you surprised that soccer wasn't a big sport @ CHS coming from Europe? It has grown since 86 but I don't know if it will ever be as popular in the states as in Europe.
Mark J Leach

Angie

Post by Angie »

Is that Travis Core in that soccer pic with Maarten? Yes, there is no soccer/football season here in the UK...football is played all year long here....which makes my son very happy.
Angela Eddy Feemster

JonBarton

Post by JonBarton »

No way that was Travis. He got around, but not on the soccer field!

Maarten

Post by Maarten »

No I wasn't surprised by it as people had warned me. As a matter of fact I didn?t really intend to play soccer for CHS as I hadn?t played competition soccer for years and felt more like trying out track. One of the soccer coaches and the team captain were very persuasive though so I couldn?t say no anymore. And although we lost most of the games I had a great time with the team. I remember being exhausted every night. First running track every afternoon and then straight on to soccer practice until 16:30 or so.
I like the American attitude towards sports and was impressed by the general approach, whether it was track, football, baseball or whatever. This was like a dream come true to me.
I know soccer is getting bigger in the US but fear it will never be as big as football unless they win the world cup (which is not gonna happen soon J). In Europe soccer is more than just a game, it?s imbedded into the culture of cities and neighbourhoods and almost a way of living for some. (like Jerry and Angie must experience in England, the home of football)
Maarten