Jan Illenberger

Do we remember you? Refresh our memories.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

illenbergerj

Jan Illenberger

Post by illenbergerj »

Let's see, I only arrived at CHS my junior year, so I don't have four or more years of memories to share with everyone else. I played basketball and softball, but don't remember being in any other clubs. I used to hang out with Julie Mathies, Tonya Delhommer, Leslie Leonard, Tiffany Lample and a few others. I dated Tim Moore for a little while, and did a lot more partying than I probably should have.

I went on the senior trip to Fort Walton with Tonya, Sam, Dennis, Paul Sharpe (not in our class) and a couple others were also in our condo at the Marina Del Bay resort. I would have to pull the pictures out to remember for sure. I remember going over and watching the guys funel beer from the second story of the hotel on the beach!!

I thought I would remember more people, but over the years, I guess you just forget.

Tiffany

Post by Tiffany »

Hey Jan! I can't believe we lost touch over the years. Did you ever get married and do you have any kids? I have 1 failed marraige and 1 beautiful little girl that come of it. She's 5 now. I really hope you can make it to the runion. Where in S.C. did you live? I live in Greer which is just south of Spartanburg and just north of Greenville. I would give anything to get out of this state! Maybe one day. :) What is it like living in Germany? I couldn't imagine being that far away from home. How are your sisters doing? It's been to long!!!

jnichel
Site Admin

Post by jnichel »

I was stationed in Charleston for almost 4 years, and didn't mind it at all. Of course, I spent most of my time out to sea. :lol:
"This Basil. This Basil's wife. This smack on head."
-- Basil Fawlty

illenbergerj

Reply for Tiffany...

Post by illenbergerj »

Tiffany,

I lived in Sumter, just east of Columbia. I was there from March of 03 until Feb of 04. What's it like living in Germany? Not enough space to sum it up in here. The scenery is a lot like the northeast, but as with many European countries, it differs as you travel from one part to another. The area I'm in now is a huge agricultural farming community. You name it and they grow it. They do most of the harvesting by hand, you see a lot of immigrants from Poland and Romania here working in the fields. It pays better than their country I'm sure, but it's hard manual labor. If I travel south three or four hours I can be in the alps and gorgeous Bavarian countryside. Italy, France, Austria, Switzerland...all within a few hours drive. We try to travel as much as possible.

As far as being away from home, I first moved away in 1994 and have been out of the country since then except for the 11 months in SC. Things are so much simpler, and for the most part safer, than in the states. They still walk to the bakery every morning to get fresh rolls and to the butcher to get fresh meats. They have vegetable markets to buy their daily supplies. I guess if you could imagine the states about 50 years ago, that's sort of the way things are here as far as the older generation. I prefer living in Italy more than Germany, but ya have to go where the job is. We're watching for some positions to open in Italy next year, and maybe move back down there.

Sisters are all doing fine. All three are married, one is in Kansas City Mo, one in Loveland Colo and the other is living in Alamosa Colo. Of the three brothers, don't think you ever met any of them, but one lives in Grand Junction Colo, one in Alamosa and the oldest is in Thailand.

Yes, I was married, tried it twice, but we wanted to go in different directions, so I didn't see any reason to prolong the inevitable. I didn't have any children, which made the divorce less complicated to say the least. Now I think I'll just live in sin for a while, hope that doesn't offend anyone reading this. :)

Tiffany

Post by Tiffany »

Wow, it sounds really different where you are living. I think I could handle a simpler way of life. I don't remember meeting your brothers but it is interesting how most of your family is now in Colorado. I lived near Loveland in 86/87. Do you ever get the chance to visit with your family in the states? The thing I don't like about S.C. is that I'm not near family. I don't even have many "close" friends here and always ask myself "what are you doing here?!" If I get a transfer with my company I can go just about anywhere in the US. I am really looking for a fresh start somewhere else. It's just hard when you have a child, but since she is so young and just starting kindergarten this fall, I think this would be the right time to make a move. I really hope you get to make it to the reunion. :)

Angie

Post by Angie »

We loved Colorado Springs...we lived there 2 years and that is where Anna was born. Colorado is on our short list of places to plant roots....that and Tampa. I has Pikes Peak (Where "America the Beautiful" was written), loads of hiking/rock climbing...Garden of the Gods is gorgeous! Just a couple hrs to slopes...it snows alot, but melts quickly and you can't ask for better weather....I recall wearing shorts in the 40s - it is so dry there....really lovely place to be.....and some really good (and not so good) school districts.

So, Jan...do you have any tips for cheap (but nice) accomodations in Italy (Venice, Rome)? We want to get over there, but I am finding it a quite expensive place to visit. Are there bases nearby where we can use the billeting instead of finding hotels? Is driving in Italy as crazy as I have heard? If you think it would be best to email me rather than post it on this site that is fine. alfmsw@aol.com. Thanks!
Last edited by Angie on Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Angela Eddy Feemster

Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Children generally adapt pretty quick to a new environment when they are young I think.
I would prefer Colorado or California over South Caroline. Snow skiing in the winter, rock climbing all year .... deep sigh.....
Maarten

illenbergerj

visiting Italy...

Post by illenbergerj »

Angie,

1. If you plan on travelling to Italy between now and Sept, make sure you find a place with AC. It is HOT down there during this time of the year. Best to go in April and May if you can, much more enjoyable climate and less crowds.
2. When you book your hotel room, make sure it has a private bathroom, some are community toilets, and you don't want to find out after you arrive...silly me I like my own shower. :)
3. Book Ryanair if you can, save some serious cash on the flights.

If you want to see Venice, you can stay in billiting at Aviano Air Base, it's only a 45 min train ride straight to the middle of Venice. Unfortunately billeting doesn't take reservations more than a week prior. Eitherway, it really only takes a day to see Venice.

If you plan for Rome, plan on three days at the least. There is so much to see, three days hardly scratches the surface. I strongly recommend doing some research prior to Rome and getting an itinerary, it's the only way you can get everything done that you want to. There are lots of sites that book tours, try a few, they are a great way to learn about the area and history. In Rome you'll see the gypsies, keep your eye on them, they are excellent pick-pockets and usually use small children to distract you. Just be aware of what's going on around you, just like in any big city.

www.venere.com is a great site for hotels in Europe, I use it all the time.
The following is one of the hotels I've stayed at in Rome.
http://www.hotelcorot.it

Also try http://www.bookings.it/index.html
http://www.itwg.com/
http://www.rome-italy-hotels.net/
http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

I have more info, just not handy on my computer, if you want more specific details or just have questions.

illenbergerj

oh driving...

Post by illenbergerj »

Driving in Italy isn't so bad, it just depends on what city you're in. Naples is somewhat nutso, you just have to pretend there aren't any lines and that you have right away all the time. Rome is sort of like that too, but you get used to it. Just remember, Italians are taught to drive aggressive, not passive or defensively. They have little cars and narrow streets and most, but not all...lol, like to go fast.

Personally I think Germans are worse drivers. I would rather drive in Italy than the DC area, at least I know what the Italian drivers are going to do. :)

Angie

Post by Angie »

Thanks Jan! Very useful info!
Angela Eddy Feemster

Tonia Delhommer Taylor

Hi

Post by Tonia Delhommer Taylor »

I wanted to say Hi to everyone. I am not sure everyone remembers me but I dated Sam Taylor #85 and was the 1st majorette in many years that twirled at CHS. I have alot of great memories and look forward to seeing everyone at the reunion.

Yes we had a really great time in Fort Walton Beach.

I just saw Julie yesterday and of all places Wal-mart and we talked about memories and the pictures the both of us have that we would love to include on the website. I have some from Julie's party at her house, football season, homecoming, dances, senior pictures, Fort Walton Beach and more.

Hope everyone is doing well and hope to hear from.

Tonia Delhommer Taylor :)

Angie

Post by Angie »

I remember you Tonia....can't wait to see you guys!
Angela Eddy Feemster

shallymeister

Post by shallymeister »

Hey Tonia. Tell Sam I said hello!
Troy Shally
Pensacola, FL

illenbergerj

Post by illenbergerj »

Hey Tonia, Glad you found the site. Someone posted a pic of you and Sam and Paul and I from senior prom and it immediately reminded me of how we went and had our nails done for the dance...then went to your house to get ready...I couldn't stop laughing because the fake nails the girl had put on me were so long I couldn't even get ready!! Hmm...that's probably why my hair looked like crap that evening. Come to think of it, I think I had A LOT of bad hair days in high school.

Tonia Delhommer Taylor

Post by Tonia Delhommer Taylor »

Where is that picture posted? That is so funny! I have several pictures I want to add and Shane is working with me to get them on the site. Yes, I remember getting ready in fact I have pictures of you and I getting ready for the homecoming parade also. I have a picture of you and Tim at Sadie Hawkins also. Hopefully I will be able to get these posted soon. What's really funny is this brings back alot of memories and I am actually helping my daughter, Samantha, get ready for her first homecoming dance. She is really excited. I can't believe she is already in 9th grade boy does time fly.

Can't wait to see you.

Tonia :D