John Nichel

Do we remember you? Refresh our memories.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

jnichel
Site Admin

John Nichel

Post by jnichel »

Most of you will probably remember my mother (she worked in the office) better than you do me, as I mostly hung around with a group from the class of '87 (when I wasn't messing around in Bill Lambert's classroom). Towards the end of our Junior year, and thoughout our Senior year I worked at Winn Dixie right down the road (hey Sam and Roxie). I went to Europe with Mr. Cox and some of you. Shane Bazer made fun of me for being drunk on the Senior Class Cruise (but the joke was on him when I threw-up in his shoes...okay, I didn't really do that). I was the treasurer and later the vice-president of our FFA chapter, and ended up going to Louisiana Boy's State because of it. Sometimes you might have seen me walking around on the odd Friday of a weekend drill in military fatigues, as I joined the La Army National Guard right after our Senior year started.
"This Basil. This Basil's wife. This smack on head."
-- Basil Fawlty

bgregharrison

Post by bgregharrison »

John, I was looking at your picture and just had to ask?Is there a reason why someone is bouncing a cheese grater off your head? (Knowing you, there is a story there. If not, you?ll make one up.)

jnichel
Site Admin

Post by jnichel »

I'm holding it (my arm's cut out of the picture). I was 'posing' for my wife (I very rarely act normal when there's a camera pointed at me).
-- Basil Fawlty

teri

Post by teri »

Hello, John! Did I really shield you in Mrs. Mitchell's? It was the only class I ever failed (one quarter).

BTW, thank you for giving us all an opportunity to "get together" before the October get-together. Really. This is great, man! Love the beard!

jnichel
Site Admin

Post by jnichel »

teri wrote:Hello, John! Did I really shield you in Mrs. Mitchell's? It was the only class I ever failed (one quarter).

BTW, thank you for giving us all an opportunity to "get together" before the October get-together. Really. This is great, man! Love the beard!
Well, I tried to use you as a shield...didn't work to well though. :lol: Sat right behind you...I think there was only one or two rows of desks between our row and the far wall. I almost failed the second semester of her class, but I maxed the math on the ACT, so she didn't want to look bad by failing a kid who just did that in the subject she was teaching (accoding to Mr. Sedatal that is)

I'm glad you're enjoying the board. It's been great for me too. I can't believe the memories that have been brought back.
-- Basil Fawlty

Connie

Post by Connie »

Do we need to form a recovery group for "Mrs. Mitchell trauma"? She so hated me but I blame my older brother. I knew my goose was cooked the first time i heard the way she said "Doolin"! (My younger brother had it even worse!) My daughter's first grade teacher was named Mrs. Mitchell - it made me nervous!
Connie (Doolin) Castillo

JonBarton

Post by JonBarton »

Connie, I had similar trauma...My older brother (chs class of '83) was pretty beligerant, and didn't take crap from anyone, and gave it out well...Let's just say he didn't get along with Mrs. Mitchell. After My dad's 3rd conference with her that year, My dad, (who is exceedingly diplomatic for a US Naval Academy Grad), refused to speak to Mrs Mitchell anymore, and had his last conference with Mr. Bankston..all this to set you up for the punch line....my first day in her class, she started calling roll...
Jeff Bass...."here"....
Jon Barton..."here"... strange pause, mumbling, from Mrs. Mitchell...then
(think evil cracking, quasi shouting, voice..) "WAIT A MINUTE....ARE YOU PHILIP BARTON'S BROTHER?.....
ME....Gulp (litterally) ...yes ma'am....
Mrs. Mitchell...."OH GOD, Just what I need".... (said with genuine disgust).

(the good news is my parents never needed any conferences...She mercifully (I can't believe I said that), gave me a D all 4 nine weeks in her class.) I tried, I really did. I would have failed on raw scores but she gave me a D, each time. I scored a 25 on the ACT in math??? that always was a mystery to me...

Robin

Post by Robin »

That's because "you tried, you really did". Way to go JB. Fortunately, my response to "Are you Lori Gieger's sister?" ('76) was met with a nod of approval. I don't recall any direct trauma. :D

jnichel
Site Admin

Post by jnichel »

I got the, "So you're Sue Nichel's son? We'll see how this goes." :o
-- Basil Fawlty