Teri Marks-Brunner

Do we remember you? Refresh our memories.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

shane

Post by shane »

That's why we moved back to St Tammany. We've got the best system in the state and one of the best in the country. We are beyond happy with Madisonville Elementary and have had nothing but great experiences with Sophia's teachers so far. She's starting gifted classes next week, not because we pushed for it (although we would have), but because her Kindergarten teacher recommended her.

Shane

jnichel
Site Admin

Post by jnichel »

Angie wrote:...and I bet she always thought it was YOU.....how did you avoid taking Ms. Mitchell's class, Shane??? I thought it was a right of passage for all of us? I feel sorry for her now.....having to go clean her yard every weekend because of all those delinquents.....and we thought we just had to put up with her...never knew it was the other way around, too.
You know what really sucks, I originally had been scheduled a different teacher for Algebra II (can't remember who), and my mother had it switched to Ms. Mitchell. I had heard all the horror stories, asked my mother why she got it switched and she tells me, "Even if you get a D in Ms. Mitchell's class, you'll learn more than you would with any other teacher".
"This Basil. This Basil's wife. This smack on head."
-- Basil Fawlty

madonnatoneygiacona

Post by madonnatoneygiacona »

Hey Sean - Not sure if you remember me. I remember you. I hope all is well. See you at the reunion.

Madonna Toney Giacona

phil

Post by phil »

Sean wrote:1st of all I had Mrs Mitchell. 2ndly, I went to the board a few times, but luckily I had Jamie ( cant rember for sure, I think that was him......) that helped break the ice in the classs. Phil D, you prob know who I am talking about, he had a sister, they both hung out at the ditch if you know what I mean. He was a character.....................anyone heard from him?
Jamie and Jodie Heinz. Both living in the Atlanta area. A bunch of us moved out there between 87-89. Danny Everett, Jamie, Jodie and quite a few others. I left in 89, but Jamie and others stayed. I haven't talked to him in probably 10 years. He was married with a litter of kids.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez!

phil

jnichel
Site Admin

Post by jnichel »

Sean wrote:Mrs Mitchell was hard to deal with at times but I am sure she did mean well............anyone know how she is doing?
I think she passed away quite a few years ago; not real sure on that though. For all the fear though, I did learn a lot in her class.
"This Basil. This Basil's wife. This smack on head."
-- Basil Fawlty

Brenda Robinson Jenkins

Post by Brenda Robinson Jenkins »

Agree with John (and your mom was right - much as we hate to admit it when we are teenagers!) - I learned a lot from Ms. Mitchell. Those of us that went to Abita Sprigns Jr. High had to relearn Algebra I in Algebra II due to the Abita teacher not teaching us correctly. Everyone from Abita flunked our first test with Ms. Mitchell with a 20% or below! Ouch!! We made a come back though!
Brenda

teri

Post by teri »

Tina Li wrote:Your little ones are precious! Are you going to make it? Would love to see you. And your husband - please say hello to him. I remember the days when my brother hung out with him A LOT. What is he up to these days?
Thank you, Tina! And I saw the beautiful pictures of your family. What cuties!! And you have not changed one bit!

Yes, we will be there. Actually, Pierre Simoneaux called Dave up and asked him to attend the St. Paul's homecoming game the night of October 20th. It think it's their 25th anniversary game. Pierre's trying to round up a bunch of the guys from their class. Will Mark be there?

As for Dave - he was with a company called S1 Corp. (internet and financial services software company) for 9 years. In the past five months, he took a job with Equifax (AVP Technology). He said that he is looking forward to getting back in touch with Mark and Liz.

We can't wait to see y'all at the reunion!

madonnatoneygiacona

Post by madonnatoneygiacona »

Brenda Robinson Jenkins wrote:Agree with John (and your mom was right - much as we hate to admit it when we are teenagers!) - I learned a lot from Ms. Mitchell. Those of us that went to Abita Sprigns Jr. High had to relearn Algebra I in Algebra II due to the Abita teacher not teaching us correctly. Everyone from Abita flunked our first test with Ms. Mitchell with a 20% or below! Ouch!! We made a come back though!

I would have to agree with you! I remember being in Ms. Mitchells class & at the board quite a bit.

Connie

Post by Connie »

You asked for it...
Teri and I on Fat Tuesday on St. Charles Ave. (I missed a Covington parade that day, don't tell Mr. King)
Also, in regards to Mrs. Mitchell...After 15 years in education, there are many teachers I would like to apologize to for the crap I pulled, Mrs. Mitchell is not one of them.
Attachments
Mardi Gras.jpg
Connie (Doolin) Castillo

Brenda Robinson Jenkins

Post by Brenda Robinson Jenkins »

Back to Ms. Mitchell - forgot to confirm she did pass away. She was at my husband's 10th reunion in 1994. I don't know when she passed away, but in James' student directory for his 20 year reunion, there was a page in memory of faculty memeber who had passed away as well as class members (maybe an idea for ours as well), and she was listed.
Brenda

Robin

Post by Robin »

Thank you, God, for everyday angels.

phimel

Post by phimel »

Wow, to get to Mrs. Mitchell down this memory lane. You couldn't accuse her of not challenging her students. After Junior year, I got to actually like her and definitely respected her. She was hard, but you knew what you were getting when you got her. I absolutely HATED going to the board for humiliation. We all knew that it was going to be bad and for a full 45 min. bad, not just one or two problems, but all of them. It was sink or sink usually. I think my skin got a lot tougher Junior year and I somehow scratched out a B in her class (The power of prayer). (That was the grade I remember the most in HS) You either learned the material or you flagged it. There seemed to be no in-between. I was often :oops: in her class, but it got me a Thirty-something on the ACT in the math section. She saved me a bunch of cash in college and towards the end of Alg. II, she was actually often pleasant. I can even remember her smiling occasionally without any sarcasm...

She was the reason I took the hardest accounting teachers in college (masochism) and the reason why I did fairly well on the CPA exam years later.