Lou Cefolia

Do we remember you? Refresh our memories.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

shane

Post by shane »

JerryFish wrote:
Charlotte Massey Maggard wrote:Jerry, when was the last time you were home? So many things have changed, it's like New Orleans traffic here and they are doing highway repairs right now on 190 and 1077, what a nightmare. There is no short cut any longer - no matter which way you go there is traffic.
I was in Covington from Halloween to right before Christmas last year. Traffic was a nightmare then and I don't think it's gotten any better. New Orleans North, I guess. I still remember the tranquil days of Hwy's 21 and 22 when we moved to Covington in 1975.
Those days are long, long gone, my friend. I think some people who haven't been here in a while (especially post-K) are in for a surprise.

Speaking of growth, CHS is growing (http://www.nola.com/search/index.ssf?/b ... IBB&coll=1). In the story you'll also notice the School Board is planning on building another high school in western St Tammany. That'll be where my kids go, I suppose.

Shane

teri

Post by teri »

I remember Ray's! GREAT hamburgers!!

Sweet Lou

Ray's and Folsom General

Post by Sweet Lou »

Ray's and Folsom General, now there are a couple of names you don't hear everyday in Port Saint Lucie. I remember after football, basketball or baseball games, Ray's would be full of families with kids in uniforms. Sports uniforms, cheerleading uniforms, referee and umpire uniforms. Eating the best hamburgers in the universe with a babble of voices so load you couldn't hear the Journey you just paid 25 cents for on the jukebox. And there were places like Rays in Abita, Madisonville, Lee Road and Covington. That type of community made St Tammany such a wonderful place to grow up.

That's one thing you don't see here in Florida.

Connie

Post by Connie »

Charlotte Massey Maggard wrote:You would not believe it... Do you remember the Welcome Wagon? And it use to be you would know literally almost everyone you saw at Folsom General or Ray's Drive in! :?

Hey, I actually WORKED at Ray's once Christmas break in college. "$2.75 and hour and all my eat's were free!"
Connie (Doolin) Castillo

bazers

1st Grade at Covington Elementary

Post by bazers »

It is amazing how so many of us started 1st grade together and also graduated High School together. We got busted up for 5th and 6th grade, but
all got back together at Pitcher.

Was David Helm also in our 1st grade class? Anyone ever hear anything from him?

Hey Lou, isnt your middle name Alexander? Somehow I think I remember that odd fact.

Shane Bazer

Charlotte Massey Maggard

Post by Charlotte Massey Maggard »

Ray's is now owned by Derek and Dina! They bought it just a few months ago. They are renovating it and it looks like it is turning out nice.
Charlotte "Charlie" Massey Maggard

shane

Re: 1st Grade at Covington Elementary

Post by shane »

bazers wrote:It is amazing how so many of us started 1st grade together and also graduated High School together. We got busted up for 5th and 6th grade, but
all got back together at Pitcher.

Was David Helm also in our 1st grade class? Anyone ever hear anything from him?

Hey Lou, isnt your middle name Alexander? Somehow I think I remember that odd fact.

Shane Bazer
Yeah, there's a space where it seems like some people are supposed to be in my memory that are there because some of us from Covington were at Pine View and others at Schoen\Covington Middle.

David got an invitation (or, at least, I sent him one), but I never heard from him.
Shane
--
I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.
- Noel Coward

Sweet Lou

Post by Sweet Lou »

Yes, Shane it is Alexander. It's amazing you remember that.

I know what you mean about reuniting with classmates after a separation. I remember Tina saying how much I changed after going to Folsom in sixth grade and then attending CHS in tenth.

I probably would have transformed into a testosterone-fueled, hard partying, devil-may-care maniac even if I had stayed in Covington. But I am sure the changes are more noticeable when viewed at a distance.

Some of us spend all of our adolescence forming an identity and all of our adulthood trying to overcome it.

But you know the cool thing was that even with 4 years in between I still feel and felt a closeness to all of you who started school with me. Like I knew you the whole time. I am sorry Shane, that you won't be at the reunion, but part of me knows that when and if I do see you again that you will be the same smart, funny Shane Bazer that I've known since I was 6.

Robin

Post by Robin »

I know you're right, Louis. Wish you were coming, Shane.

phimel

I think I need to be spotted 20 strokes...

Post by phimel »

Louis,

Speaking of awash in memories. Moon Fest!, Kamakazi parties, Black label cases for $4.50 (we needed volume at a discount). Stan the Man Dykes and his Gremlin or whatever it was he was driving; Keith Bruhl w/Ozzy blaring on the bus, speaking of bus... what about all of those away games to Baton Rouge, esp. Sophomore year, (that was eye-opening)

Football in the field by your house,

your golden retriever (Sirius)

Quarter-time after school with pints of JD... ah the good old daze....

How did we survive?

At any rate...

Our tee time is going to be in the wee hours of the am on Saturday. (The proverbial derierre crack of dawn) We've got work to do before the actual party on Saturday... (I'm really getting pumped up about the whole deal)

So bring your work boots as well as your nickers!

But, don't worry, beer:30 will come on the half hour...

Sweet Lou

Post by Sweet Lou »

Patrick,

Some things are better not remembered.. At least half of those events you mentioned involved vomiting at some point.

I hope I can make beer:30. I am a little out of shape for long periods of indulgence... But I guess I can take one for the team.

As for working before the event, I am ready. I am so stoked to be coming back to St. Tammany again, its gonna be great!

Robin

Post by Robin »

What's your ETA, Louis?

Sweet Lou

Post by Sweet Lou »

I'll be in New Orleans on Thursday, probably make it to Covington on Friday for the game. Then... let the party begin! Friday football, Saturday Party, Sunday, picnic. At some point I will be going to Folsom to check on my dad's house. (It took a tree through the roof in Katrina)