Shane H

Between high school and now.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

shane

Shane H

Post by shane »

U of SW La for 2 years; studied Fine Arts. Then, completely lost focus on all things in my life (sort of a "early-life crisis") and took off to California for a month with Dennis Nickens and a couple others.

Came home with a new career in mind... culinary arts. Worked for a year at Friends on the Tchefuncte in Madisonville and decided I didn't want to spend my life in a hot kitchen cooking, working ungodly hours, so I went to SLU and studied education. Worked with my dad for a while in his janitorial business while I studied. That didn't work out either (damn, I'm aimless!), but I finished a degree (finally!) and completed a Masters degree in History a couple of years later.

Then, fortune smiled on me and I landed a great gig at the Matas Medical Library at Tulane University (no small sacrifice on my part, mind you, considering my nearly unhealthy love for LSU football). Started as a technician (checking in, checking out, shelving, showing people how to use the copy machine), but part of my job was working in the library's computer lab. I really took to it and became the Sys Admn's right-hand. When she moved on, I assumed her position and in 2004 I became head of Systems and Reference. Then, I set it all aside in 2005.

Along the way, back in 1989 to be exact, a beautiful young co-ed from U of Alabama, Melissa Barrett, started working at Friends Restaurant. A mutual friend was determined to get us together and hatched an elaborate plan to do so. It worked. Melissa thought I was a summer fling, that I'd forget about her when she went back to school. Boy, was she wrong...

Through 13 years of marriage, we've lived in a couple of great old apartments in Uptown New Orleans, 160-year old Creole cottage in the Faubourg Marigny and had two beautiful children, Sophia and Barrett. We've always said we make a good team, compliment each other, work well together and Sophia and Barrett are the physical manifestations of that.

JerryFish

Post by JerryFish »

Yeah, only because you had such a good roomate in you first year of college....Well that and a great wife to come (actually I think she can take all the credit), but who's counting?????

Jerry