Candace Cooper Metz

Between high school and now.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

ccoopermetz

Candace Cooper Metz

Post by ccoopermetz »

I realize while reading these things that some of you know my life and others have been spared! (hehe)
After chs, I went to Nicholls for a year then worked for a year, then got married to Kirk Metz (st. pauls c/o 85) we moved to Indiana and then South Carolina and then Washington state between 89-93. We lived just outside of Seattle til 96 when we seperated. (Had Olivia in 95). I was seperated at the 10 year reunion and vowed to file for divorce when I returned to WA. The reunion was June 12 and by June 18 I was a widow (Kirk's retaliation to divorce was suicide). My head spun and my life catapulted into some dark days when just 3 months later my mom also committed suicide...(don't know how I survived but I'm sure my friends had alot to do with it!!) Olivia and I moved to bush, La and lived there for about a year until I was conned into following "mr. right" to Wisconsin. Long story not worth retelling believe me but I'm glad he's on the missing list and I hope he's been met by much unfortunate events since then. Olivia and I returned to LA and lived in Mandeville for awhile. I enrolled in SLU and pursued a marketing degree. I bought a house in Covington in 99 and I lived the single life quite happily until I had my second daughter - nothing like a SURPRISE to calm a person down! After I completed college in 02, I worked for a few months and returned to SLU for a masters degree. While working on my masters degree, I became engaged and was supposed to be married in June 06 but the wedding was called off last February --- his action/my reaction. since then, I started building a second house. (the one that will be ready reunion weekend). I'm teaching at Madisonville Elem and am the very proud mom of 2 great kids. I'm happilty single and I can honestly say life is good. But man was it a rocky road.

phil

Post by phil »

Jesus, Candace. That's nearly unbearable. I couldn't imagine going through that. Your strength is unbelievable. I'm ....speechless.

IOU one big F..ing hug at the reunion.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez!

phil

ccoopermetz

Post by ccoopermetz »

i love big f* hugs!
what they say is true, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. but really sometimes i have asked 'why me?'
my dad remarried a year after my mom died and she is a great woman and had taken over the role of "maw maw" to my girls. My mom is missing so much.

Robin

Re: Candace Cooper Metz

Post by Robin »

ccoopermetz wrote:I realize while reading these things that some of you know my life and others have been spared! (hehe)
Ditto the hug, Candace. I'd never heard the "whole" story. Love your fantastic strength and attitude!!!

jnichel
Site Admin

Post by jnichel »

Yeah, it takes a lot to face a string of events like that, and come thru on the other side. My father shot himself in '91, but I was one of the lucky ones (if one can be lucky in that situation). We had grown apart (to put it nicely) by then, and with his drinking, I actually looked at his killing himself as a favor to someone else. Whenever I think about it these days, I think that someone is still alive now because he isn't still driving the roads drunk. Kudos to you; it sounds like you've handled youself well.
"This Basil. This Basil's wife. This smack on head."
-- Basil Fawlty

ccoopermetz

Post by ccoopermetz »

John I'm sorry about your dad. Sometimes there can never be enough distance to handle suicide. Even the man I was divorcing had a profound impact on me when he shot himself. I was prepared to be divorced. I was not prepared for that. His reasons and my mom's reasons were different yet it boils down to a selfish act. Your dad may have spared some but his death impacted many I'm sure. I'm sorry for your loss.

Julie Mathies

Post by Julie Mathies »

Candace, I was there with you through that terrible, bumpy road, and will always be here for you.....don't forget that!! You ARE one tough cookie.

When you said you attended Nicholls, it reminded me that we were "pen pals" for quite some time during our college days....I remember checking my mailbox at SLU and getting so excited that I actually had something in there! I think we lost touch when you & Kirk got married, but we reunited when we planned the 10-year reunion. I had a HUGE box of all the letters & notes we used to write back in high-school & college, some of which were somewhat "incriminating". I found them when we sold my parent's house several years ago, and now I can't find them! A very SCARY thought.....

Tiffany

Post by Tiffany »

Candace, I remember talking about some of what you went through during our 15 year get together. I still can't believe you had to endure so much. You are amazing and your children are so lucky to have you. :)

Brenda Robinson Jenkins

Post by Brenda Robinson Jenkins »

Wow Candace! - I had no idea. I knew your mom had passed away which is in itself a terribly difficult loss to bear. I am so sorry to hear of the circusmtances. And then Kirk too - don't know how you made it through but you obviously did. Must have taken super human strength and perserverance. And look what you have accomplished since then. You should be proud of yourself.

I am so glad to hear that your life is now happy and successful. You certainly deserve it. Your kids are precious - Olivia looks just like you - the resemblance is remarkable.

John - I know you don't remember be but I am very sorry to hear about your father as well. It sounds like you have also handled yourself well and come out on the better side. P.S. Your family is adorable.
Brenda

Connie

Post by Connie »

Candace, wow. ouch. You sure have a beautiful smile going on in your photo so I guess you did get stronger! Glad to finally see another educator in our bunch. I was beginning to think everyone from Coach Bourgois' Honor Biology class turned into computer geeks!
Connie (Doolin) Castillo

Tonia Delhommer Taylor

Post by Tonia Delhommer Taylor »

Candice, you have been through alot and everytime I see you, you have a smile on your face and a positive, loving attitude. You are true roll model for your kids in that no matter what you go through you can overcome the hardest things in life.

Can't wait to see you at the reunion.

Sincerely,

Tonia D. Taylor

phil

Post by phil »

Connie wrote:I was beginning to think everyone from Coach Bourgois' Honor Biology class turned into computer geeks!
Ok, there was that one time that we planted pot plants in Bourgois' class. You know, mixed in with the tomato plants he grew. :twisted:
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez!

phil

Angie

Post by Angie »

Sounds like a scene from "Phil & Dan's Excellent Adventures" - has that been released yet or still in production?
Angela Eddy Feemster